What Are the 3 Most Important Questions to Ask During my Labiaplasty Consult?

Be wary of techniques that remove tissue and amputate the free edge!!!

Understand what king of technique is being used.  Avoid trimming by all means.  It is my preference not to excise tissue like the conventional central wedge technique but rather to use a transposition flap and deepitheliealize.  This procedure is much safer and yields beautiful results.  Be careful as many practitioners simply amputate the edge leaving severe deformities

Questions to ask about labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  There are several important points to ask when discussing labiaplasty.  At the forefront is how many procedures have you performed.  It is always advisable to go to someone with an expertise in the area.  Also, what type of incision do you use?  There are several options and this can vary depending on one's anatomy, but the typical way is a "V" wedge excision.  What is the recovery?  This is important to know how long you will be down. Finally, what are the potential complications?  It is uncommon to have problems or complications with this surgery, but your surgeon should be able to tell you what the most common concerns are and how they are managed.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

3 Most Important Pre-Op Labiaplasty Questions

The 3 most important labiapasty questions that will be the most beneficial for a woman researching this procedure are:
1) What is the labiaplasty technique that you will use?
2) How may labiaplasty procedures have you performed?
3) Let me see your before and after labiaplasty photos.
Most commonly I use the trim method which reduces the excess skin and can be carefully trimmed so that the edges are smooth and symetrical. The wedge technique often does not remove enough tissue. I have perforemd labiaplasty procedures since 1997. At consultation, a patient should be examined and shown before and after photographs of labiaplasty procedures and this will reassure the patient. This is a surgical procedure that requires some technical and artistic skills to accomplish. Please take the time to speak to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can answer your questions, before you proceed. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Questions for Labiaplasty consult

There are many questions to ask during Labiaplasty consultation. One of the most important should be done at home before your visit. Do your home work well. Who is doing your procedure?

During your visit, you should ask these questions
1) Are you a Plastic Surgeon?
2) Where is the procedure performed.
3) Is the center fully accredited. If yes, by who?
4) Ask about their experience and look at the before and after photo
5) Ask if you a candidate for labiaplasty

Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Labiaplasty questions to ask

1. Am I a candidate for this surgery and why?

2. What technique do you use (wedge and de-epithelialization is the safest and indicated in most all cases)?

3. Show me photos and tell me about your level of experience. 

Bonus: show me reviews of labiaplasty patients!

Questions to Ask Before Labiaplasty

Before you ask a surgeon, ask yourself what you dislike and how you wish the area to appear. If you don't have a clear idea of what you want, you will most likely not be satisfied. Once you've got that figured out, ask about experience and ask to see before and after photos. If you like what you see, great. If not, move on.

It is important to know that your plastic surgeon is very experienced in labiaplasty.

Labia minoraplasty and labia majoraplasty procedures are performed by some plastic surgeons and some gynecologists.  It is important to seek out a surgeon that is experienced in these procedures and that they can demonstrate their results.  It is important to review before and after photos and compare results and assoicated techniques.  I prefer a wedge technique and often deepithelialize the tissue when it comes to labia minoraplasty procedures.  I avoid trimming techniques as I feel the results are not as aesthetically pleasing.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Labia minora reduction questions

Good question. I think the three most important questions you might ask our: 1. Am I a good candidate for the procedure (why or why not)?    

2. What is your experience level with this procedure?

3.  What are the complications associated with this procedure?

Bonus question: what is a recovery after this procedure?

Best wishes

Questions to ask during labiaplasty consultation...

Those seeking labiaplasty surgery are well advised to find a surgeon who both is experienced with that procedure and has a track record of good results. It goes without saying that such a surgeon should be board certified within the field of either plastic surgery or gynecology and also have an active practice involving vulvogaginal plastic surgery.

I think the 3 most important questions during the first consultation would be:

What is this surgeon's background experience with labiaplasty surgery?
Does he/she know how to perform more than a single method, so individualizing your surgery is possible?
Does he/she have photo examples their labiaplasty work? (This is essential!)

With the information gained from those questions, it should then be possible to determine if you're in the right office, or if your search for a labiaplasty surgeon should continue.

Charles Gruenwald, MD (retired)
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon