How Important is It to Go to a Doctor That Specializes in Rhinoplasty?

I am getting a rhinoplasty and I am still trying to find the right surgeon. I found one that I think I like and is in my price range but I am a little skeptical because he does all kinds of surgeries (implants, lipo, etc), whereas the other doctors I have seen specialize only in facial surgery. If I go to this doctor, could I be risking a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of experience? How normal for is for a plastic surgeon not to specialize in one area?

The outcome of your Rhinoplasty is largely dependent on the skill and expertise of your surgeon.

+2

I read your concern.

Rhinoplasty surgery is arguably one of the most difficult facial plastic surgical procedures, and your best chance for achieving a successful outcome is at the time of primary rhinoplasty.

In that regard, you would be well served consulting several rhinoplasty specialists to see what might be best for you. Your surgeon's credentials, outcomes, and patient satisfaction should be thoroughly researched before moving forward.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty specialization

+1

Very few plastic surgeons focus on only a single procedure in their practice. As you astutely note, it can be challenging to discern true expertise with any particular procedure. The best testament to a surgeon's skill is his/her results with past patients, and this is probably the best way to gauge their ability. This should not be based on a few case examples, which can be carefully selected. Volume and range of cases particular to your situation (ethnic, large nose, wide nose, etc) should also be looked at. Best of luck,

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Seeing a Specialist Important?

+1

It is extremely important that you seek a board certified surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty surgery. I have a true passion for nasal surgery so I am the kind of person that is going to be invested in really picking apart the things that need to be done. You want someone like that who cares because Rhinoplasty surgery is very difficult and if you do not have a clear set of goals with your surgeon and know that they can execute the things that need to be done it can be a disaster.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Very Important

+1

Since I specialize in rhinoplasty, you may consider this a biased opinion.  I do believe it very important to have your sugery by someone who specializes in rhinoplasty.  More than any other operation on the face, rhinoplasty requires a committment of personal growth in knowledge and technique, on-going education, technical skill, appreciation of the relationship of form and function, an understanding of the underlying architecture of the nose,  and very critical continual appraisal of one's results.  

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have one nose and should do it right the first time, to avoid needing a second

+1

Many doctors train in rhinoplasty, however only a handful do it as a majority of their practice. I suggest you seek out a doctor who specializes in rhinoplasty. This doctor spends much of their time studing this very intricate procedure and applying all the new techniques. If your doctor does more sinus work or breasts and lipo, they might not be up on the latest technology. Rhinoplasty has evolved signifcantly over the past few decades and still changes; more than any other area of cosmetic surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Importance of seeking a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

You are correct in your concerns.  It is important to choose a surgeon who is comfortable with rhinoplasty surgery and also someone who understands the importance of the function of the nose. Probably best way to assess this is to see their work and unquire about the volume of rhinoplasties he/she does a year. 

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it important to go to a doctor that specializes in rhinoplasty.

+1

You want to see a surgeon who does rhinoplasty's to be extremely proficient. Experience and numbers of rhinoplasty make a difference because that is how the plastic surgeon learns to do better work. Choose a surgeon with a great deal of experience who does noses u like.…

It's important

+1

I consider myself to be a rhinoplasty specialist, eventhough I do other cosmetic surgery. Discuss your feelings with the doctor involved. Usually the older plastic surgeons who do closed rhinoplasties are quite good and experience. Also make sure that they are board certified by an ABMS approved board.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Importance of a rhinoplasty specialist

+1

There are many excellent rhinoplasty surgeons that do a variety of other surgical procedures.  The important thing to look at is their experience specifically in rhinoplasty.  Is she/he board certified by an appropriate ABMS board (American Board of Medical Specialties) to perform plastic surgery within the head & neck (American Board of Otolaryngology, American Board of Plastic Surgery)?  How many rhinoplasties does he/she perform per year?  Do you like his/her before & after pictures?  Generalizing that only surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty are capable of performing exceptional rhinoplasty surgery is probably inaccurate.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD