I Have Had my Implants for Four Years and for the Past Two Days my Right Breast Hurts

i have had my implants for four years and they have been awsome but for the past two days my right breast is painful it is a little swallon it feels like i pulled a muscle it hurts to breath deep,i cant lay on my right side and hurts to pick up things.

See your surgeon

+1
You should see your plastic surgeon about this. There may be a complication that needs to be addressed, and the sooner it is the better.

Pain after Breast Implants

+1

Based on your description of persistent discomfort it would be in your best interest to be seen by your plastic surgeon in the near future.  Pain may be a sign of a problem such as implant malposition or early encapsulation etc.

Pain following breast augmentation

+1

When experiencing pain, you should schedule a consultation and examination with your original board certified surgeon for an evaluation.  There may be several explanations for this, but it is always best to know for sure.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Pain San Diego

+1

Subacute (relatively sudden) onset of pain on one side four years after breast augmentation may be caused by one or more of several possibilities.  Local trauma to the area can cause this.  The pain may actually be rib pain.  Ribs beneath the implant may be injured by direct impact to the breast.  Slow lateral dissection of a submuscular implant due to pectoralis muscle pressure upon the implant against your curved ribs can separate or press on nerves at the side of the implant, causing pain.  The development of a spontaneous late hematoma/seroma is also a possibility, and has been reported.  These can occur in the absence of  trauma.  Rupture of the implant or capsular contracture may be causing the pain.  A  breast cyst may be painful, and such discomfort usually coincides with menses, resolving somewhat after your period is over.  Causes of referred pain (pain from a problem elsewhere that you feel as breast or implant pain) should also be considered.  Chest pain can be pulmonary, pleural, cardiac, esophageal, gastric, biliary, peritoneal, mediastinal, pericardial, renal, splenic, pancreatic, intestinal, and more.  See a physician or surgeon if the discomfort persists or worsens.  If he or she cannot determine the cause of your pain by taking your history and performing examination, laboratory tests and imaging studies (mammography, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI ) may be indicated.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Pain Years After Augmentation

+1

It would be unusual for the pain that you described (pain on deep inspiration and pain with lifting) to be related to your augmentation, if you have otherwise done well for 4 years.  It most likely is due to a pulled muscle or something similar.  There are possible causes which could be more serious, however, and you should be seen by your physician.

John Whitt, MD

Right breast pain

+1

It's hard to know exactly what is going on since you are so far out from surgery.  You might try a run of anti-inflammatory pain medicine to see if it resolves.  If you can see your plastic surgeon, then a more thorough exam can be done.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Pain on breathing may be serious medical emergency

+1

There is no way to know exactly what is going on without seeing you, but most problems with breast implants would usually occur much earlier than this, and those that do occur you usually have a slower onset.

Infection around the implant would usually occur sooner (it can occur over one year after surgery, however), and would usually have a slower onset.  Severe capsular contracture can occur at any time, but also tends to occur with a slower onset.

Patients will sometimes get "zingers" that can shoot through the breast.  This can occur at anytime, but is usually very brief.

One thing that does make me nervous about your story is that it hurts when you take a deep breath.  Pulmonary embolism (a blood clot traveling from the leg to the lungs) can present that way, and is an emergency that requires treatment.  Failure to treat pulmonary embolism, which can be difficult to diagnose without specialized tests, can result in a bigger, potentially fatal, embolism.

So, if you are having pain when you breathe, especially if one of your legs is sore  or swollen (but even if it isn't), you should probably go to the emergency room.

James Nachbar, MD