I Have Had my Implants for Four Years and for the Past Two Days my Right Breast Hurts

i have had my implants for four years and they have been awsome but for the past two days my right breast is painful it is a little swallon it feels like i pulled a muscle it hurts to breath deep,i cant lay on my right side and hurts to pick up things.

Pain Four Years Post Surgery

Consult with your surgeon to ensure that you do not have any complications and that you are healing as expected as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery.

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

See your surgeon

You should see your plastic surgeon about this. There may be a complication that needs to be addressed, and the sooner it is the better.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Pain after Breast Implants

Based on your description of persistent discomfort it would be in your best interest to be seen by your plastic surgeon in the near future.  Pain may be a sign of a problem such as implant malposition or early encapsulation etc.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Pain following breast augmentation

When experiencing pain, you should schedule a consultation and examination with your original board certified surgeon for an evaluation.  There may be several explanations for this, but it is always best to know for sure.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

7706 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, OH 43235

Breast Implant Pain San Diego

Subacute (relatively sudden) onset of pain on one side four years after breast augmentation may be caused by one or more of several possibilities.  Local trauma to the area can cause this.  The pain may actually be rib pain.  Ribs beneath the implant may be injured by direct impact to the breast.  Slow lateral dissection of a submuscular implant due to pectoralis muscle pressure upon the implant against your curved ribs can separate or press on nerves at the side of the implant, causing pain.  The development of a spontaneous late hematoma/seroma is also a possibility, and has been reported.  These can occur in the absence of  trauma.  Rupture of the implant or capsular contracture may be causing the pain.  A  breast cyst may be painful, and such discomfort usually coincides with menses, resolving somewhat after your period is over.  Causes of referred pain (pain from a problem elsewhere that you feel as breast or implant pain) should also be considered.  Chest pain can be pulmonary, pleural, cardiac, esophageal, gastric, biliary, peritoneal, mediastinal, pericardial, renal, splenic, pancreatic, intestinal, and more.  See a physician or surgeon if the discomfort persists or worsens.  If he or she cannot determine the cause of your pain by taking your history and performing examination, laboratory tests and imaging studies (mammography, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI ) may be indicated.

Steve Laverson, MD

477 North El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024

Breast Pain Years After Augmentation

It would be unusual for the pain that you described (pain on deep inspiration and pain with lifting) to be related to your augmentation, if you have otherwise done well for 4 years.  It most likely is due to a pulled muscle or something similar.  There are possible causes which could be more serious, however, and you should be seen by your physician.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Right breast pain

It's hard to know exactly what is going on since you are so far out from surgery.  You might try a run of anti-inflammatory pain medicine to see if it resolves.  If you can see your plastic surgeon, then a more thorough exam can be done.  Good luck!

Bivik Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

6499 E Broad St
Columbus, OH 43213

Pain on breathing may be serious medical emergency

There is no way to know exactly what is going on without seeing you, but most problems with breast implants would usually occur much earlier than this, and those that do occur you usually have a slower onset.

Infection around the implant would usually occur sooner (it can occur over one year after surgery, however), and would usually have a slower onset.  Severe capsular contracture can occur at any time, but also tends to occur with a slower onset.

Patients will sometimes get "zingers" that can shoot through the breast.  This can occur at anytime, but is usually very brief.

One thing that does make me nervous about your story is that it hurts when you take a deep breath.  Pulmonary embolism (a blood clot traveling from the leg to the lungs) can present that way, and is an emergency that requires treatment.  Failure to treat pulmonary embolism, which can be difficult to diagnose without specialized tests, can result in a bigger, potentially fatal, embolism.

So, if you are having pain when you breathe, especially if one of your legs is sore  or swollen (but even if it isn't), you should probably go to the emergency room.

James Nachbar, MD

8896 East Becker Lane
Scottsdale, AZ 85260