Do I Have to Have Implants when Getting a MM?

I am strongly considering a MM, but do not want implants. Is it possible to have my breasts lifted w/o them?

Mommy Makeover Surgery - Tailored to the Patient's Needs

+1

The greatest part of mommy makeover surgery is that it is tailored to the patient’s needs. Some mothers only need breast surgery and a tummy tuck, while others have liposuction, tummy tuck and breast surgery. With that said, breast implants are not a requirement of mommy makeover. It should be possible for your surgeon to lift your breasts during mommy makeover surgery without breast implants. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your plastic surgery desires.

Breast Lift without Implants is Definitely Possible in a Mommy Makeover

+1

Hi there-

The short answer to your question is that you can absolutely have a breast lift without implants in a Mommy Makeover.

The longer answer would be that it is very important to carefully consider your goals when deciding on the plan with your surgeon, as the outcome will, of course be very different.

As long as you choose your surgeon carefully and for all of the right reasons, you should be able to be confident that he will advise you well.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Implants are not required in mommy makeover procedures

+1

It all depends on what your goals are and what you have to start with.  
If you are happy with your volume but your primary concern is sagging, then a breast lift without implants can do the trick.  However, if you are also concerned about volume loss, then a lift can only do so much.  Please visit with a board certified PS in your area to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lift, no implants

+1

Yes - absolutely, it's possible to have the breast lift done without implants.  It's a matter of personal taste.

Get the implants if:

-  you want to have a larger cup size

-  you want the "implant look", with a lot of upper pole fullness.

Don't get the implants if:

-  you like your current size

-  are worried about possible complications (hardness, leakage, replacement, cost)

All the best!

Thomas Fiala, MD

+1

All surgeries are essentially customized to the person. Whether or not you need a breast implant placed as part of your Mommy Makeover is entirely up to you. The surgeon you choose should be able to tell you what he can do with the tissue you have and whether an implant would be needed in your case to achieve your goals. It is quite common to perform breast lifts without implants.

Julio Garcia, MD

There are no mandatory procedures with a mommy makeover

+1

Thank you for your question. You do not have to have breast implants to have a mommy makeover or to get a breast lift. You only need breast implants if you want to increase the size of your breasts. If you are happy with your  breast size, you do not need implants.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implants with a MM are not required.

+1

Any portion of  a MM including the implants are the patients choice.  I always ask my patients if they are happy with the volume in their bra.  If the volume is OK  with them then there is no reason to add more and a lift will reshape and lift the breast to its normal position.  This saves the cost of the implants and eliminates any potential problems implants can cause in the future.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Implants or not

+1

Some surgeons recommend a lift first and an implant later. They can be done at the same time as well. Not having an implant is the patient's choice. A lift can be do without them.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Components of a Mommy Makeover

+1

You do not have to have implants with a mommy makeover!  There are many variations of the “MM”.  Some patients have lost breast volume and want implants. Other are happy with the amount of breast tissue that they have, and only want them lifted.  It sounds as though you are in the latter category.  Discuss your options with your chosen plastic surgeon so they can help you achieve your goals.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS