Can Implants That Have Been Placed over the Muscle Be Replaced Behing the Muscle?

I have 220cc implants placed subglandular, and I can feel them ver much when I lay on my back. I guess its normal as I'm pretty thin? Would it be possible (is it usuall possible) to have them removed and replaced in a submuscular position? And would there be consecuences to that?

Change in Breast Implant Position

+1

Yes, you can definitely change implant position to under the muscle. This is commonly refereed to as a site change. Placing the implants under the muscle will ultimately give more tissue coverage and less rippling. However, note that when the implants are put under the muscle they are never completely under the muscle. The larger the implant the less muscle will actually cover the implant. The upper portion of and implant is covered with muscle and the lower portion generally is not. Also, if you have saline implants changing to silicone will help the look and feel of the implant. Good luck.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Converting subglandular implants to a submuscular position

+1

It is not an uncommon surgery to convert the implants from a subglandular pocket to a submuscular one.  This should help with disguising the implants and make them less noticable.  The recovery should not be as extensive as the first operation either.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Pocket change with implants

+1

Certainly  implants can be replaced in a different pocket and very commonly done under the muscle in patients with thin soft tissue coverage.

Submuscular breast implants vs Subglandular implants

+1

Implants placed behind the muscle have better coverage so they typically show less rippling than sublandular implants.  Also, submuscular position of implants have a lower risk of capsular contracture.  Change of pocket from subglandular to submuscular can be performed but, it has its inherant risks that must be discussed with the patient. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Changing implants from above to below the pectoralis muscle

+1

A so-called pocket exchange, refers to replacing implants from on top of the pectoralis major muscle to below the muscle, or vice versa. Two common indications for a pocket exchange from above to below the muscle are rippling  and capsular contracture, both of which are less common with below the muscle implant placement. This is generally not a difficult procedure, however, pocket adjustments are often necessary; specifically, the initial above-the-muscle pocket often has to be closed off or made smaller with sutures. Additionally, implants may feel and look smaller under the muscle, so a larger implant may be necessary if you wish to maintain the same volume. All of these issues should be discussed in detail with your surgeon, and you should make sure that any prospective surgeons you interview are experienced with revision breast surgery. Thanks for your question. Feel free to email any further questions.

Web reference: http://www.drgoldman.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants site change is possible

+1

Breast implant revision surgery is often about "site change", i.e. the change in placement of the breast implant from in front of the pec to behind the pec muscle.

A plastic surgeon experienced in revision surgery will be able to give you options as to what may be best in your particular case.

Women who have particularly thin breast also benefit from increasing the breast tissue thickness over the implant with fat transfer.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Can implants be moved from over to under the muscle

+1

Technically, yes implants can be moved from one area to the next. However, without seeing your pictures I can't say whether or not you would need a lift additionally.  

Better coverage of breast implants

+1

Yes you can have your implants moved to a partially under the muscle position. Doing this will provide more coverage of the implant and yield a more natural result. A plastic surgeon would need to examine you and then review your options with you of course. I would recommend reviewing the websites of potential plastic surgeons to see patients similar to you and the results they obtained.

Dr Edwards

Moving Implants From Over To Under Muscle

+1

I agree with you that your result will likely be improved by moving your implants to a submuscular position.  I place almost all of my implants below the muscle and I feel that this especially desirable in thin patients such as you describe yourself.  This will not guarantee a good result but will increase your odds.

Move Subglandular Implants under the Muscle

+1

Yes, it is possible to move your implants under the muscle. The muscle may flatten the implants slightly making them look smaller so you may want to enlarge them slighly although it isn't necessary to do that. If your breast tissue is very thin and your muscles are too, you may not see that much change by going submuscular, and if your implants are saline, a change to silicone gel will improve the feeling of the implants.