Implant Size for Tall Women

I am 6 feet tall, 150 lbs, but have slender upper body. I went for a consult today expecting the dr would recommend an impkant in the range of 550-600cc. Instead he suggested 700-800! Does that seem excessive or would it look normal because of my height?

The Perfect Implant Size

+2

There isn't a correct size for every patient. What looks right to you will not necessarily look right to the next patient, even if her height and weight are the same as yours. Your surgeon should be able to give you some insight into what range of sizes would fit you without causing an obvious "augmented" look, but only you can decide what looks right to you. Your surgeon may be able to provide you with some sizers to try out.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size Should Be Proportionate Regardless Of Height

+2

While the selection of breast implant size in breast augmentation is a personal one, there are several considerations in helping choose a good size for all women regardless of height and weight. One of the most important considerations is the patient's natural breast diameter or width of their breast. In general, most women do not want augmented breasts that go too far to the side or are wider in diameter than their own breasts. Therefore, matching the diameter of an implant to the patient's breast width will almost never create a breast size that is too big. At 6 feet tall and only weighing 150 lbs, it is very likely that the width of a 700 or 800cc breast implant will be too big for your natural breast width...and thus may be oversized for you.   

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

The "right" implants for your body type

+2

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant sizing and body types

+1

There are certainly a number of conflicting opinions about breast size and body types. My approach to sizing implants is to suggest a size that balances a woman's figure from a proportion standpoint and then let them try on different size implants to determine how they really want to look. Having a surgeon pick an implant without the patient trying it on seems to me like buying a car without first driving it. If you are six feet tall and only weigh 150lbs I would think a 700-800cc implant would be a bit big. However, not having a picture to see what your breasts actually look like makes it is impossible to be more specific.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

How big is too big

+1

6 foot is tall, but it's not that tall.  That size sounds incredibly large.  Unless you asked your plastic surgeon for implants that will look like a coconut split in half and placed on your chest, that's not a good choice.  You have to remember that your tissues will need to support this implant for the rest of your life.  Many patients come in asking me for a fake and unnatural result.  If that is your priority and all that you care about, the sky is the limit on size (up to about 880cc).

Best of luck

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

It is difficult to say without any photos; however, it seems a bit too large, from my perspective.  You may be tall, but your weight does not seem to be too much for your height, hence, you may not have much breast tissue which would make a large implant not the best choice.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Implant Size Is One Factor

+1

Without a physical examination it's hard to second guess implant volume recommendations. That said, it might be good for you to know that the volumes of the breast implants are measured in CCs and that 30cc = 1oz. The most popular implant size is 300ccs (or 10oz). As Dr. Casper mentioned, you can get a rough idea of how big you might look by placing the desired volume in a freezer bag and placing it in the lower part of your bra.

Although implant volume (cc’s) is important, the shape of the implant is just as important. Implant shape has two components. One is the base, or how much space the implant occupies on the chest wall. The other is projection, or how much the implant stands out from the chest wall.

Your board certified plastic surgeon should have various breast implant samples so that you can try on the implants to get a better idea of how various volumes and profiles will look on you. Implant size and profile are not things you want to try and guess! If you don't feel comfortable with your current doctor's recommendations, seek another opinion. You should have the opportunity to select the breast implant that will give you the look you want.

You'll also want to consider the type of implant, the location of the incision, and other factors. See me discuss the things you need to consider before breast augmentation surgery in the video.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Implant Size for Tall Women

+1

A posted photo would be extremely helpful. Otherwise a 700 cc could be the correct size. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Best implant size for a tall slender woman.

+1

I have answered a similar question for another woman; my answer can be found under my profile by clicking on breast implants and reviewing the answer to the question "Breast Implant Sizes.".

Please realize that the 550-600cc implant size you anticipated is only 100-200cc different from what your consulting doctor recommended. Perhaps he is way off base and not even American Board of Plastic Surgery certified; perhaps he is properly-board-certified, well-trained, experienced, and is recommending 3-6 ounces more enlargement per side than you anticipated. (This amount is 1/4 to 1/2 of a can of soda! Put 3 ounces of water in a bowl and ask yourself if you think you could see a difference in breast size if that amount were added to your present size--or your "perfect" size. Do the same with 6 ounces. You'll see that it's either "not too much" or "too much."

Particularly with under-the-muscle placement, I typically add 100cc to whatever the patient chooses (when they choose 600cc; for a choice of 300cc, I might add about 50cc) in order to achieve the "look" the patient wants when sizing with implants in a bra. Sizing in a brassiere is entirely different than what a patient experiences when the implants are entirely covered by muscular tissue! I know this from multiple patients who chose a specific size, after which I dutifully placed exactly-the-requested-size in the operating room, only to have them react with "You put in the wrong ones--they're too small!" in the recovery room or the next-day recheck! So I quickly learned to add a sliding scale "fudge factor" that makes more patients feel I got it "right on."

The issue is further complicated by the fact that implants come in not only multiple volumes, but also three different profiles--moderate, moderate plus, and high profile. The differences are: narrower base width and greater height (projection) for the high profile implant, compared to wider base and lower height (projection) for the moderate profile implant. (Moderate plus is in-between). I choose profile based on patient measurements, requests, and anatomy. Your own anticipated implant choice may have included these variables, but not the 25 years of experience and the thousands of breast augmentation patients I have discussed this very issue with at length. And I still don't ALWAYS get it right; but since I don't charge a surgeon's fee for a revision (and the patient has to pay for the new implants, OR, and anesthesia), neither I nor my patients want to do that very often! Either I learn or I my practice doesn't thrive.

To sum up, 700-800cc may be a tad too much, or it might be spot on! Did you bring photos of what you consider to be breast sizes you find attractive to your consultation? Is your doctor American Board of Plastic Surgery certified? Does he have years of experience? Does he do primarily breast surgery? cosmetic surgery? reconstructive surgery? Or is he a Dermatologist or (facial) plastic surgeon?

You are wise to ask these questions now. Try on implants in a bra and stretch top when sizing, and DON'T look at the numbers. Ask the doctor if he or she has their own "fudge factor" or if they put in exactly what you choose. Ask what their redo policy is and who pays for what. I've written more on this topic, and you can find before and after breast photographs on our website photo gallery with the patient data and (accurate) implant sizes and profiles. I hope this helps you! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon