Want Breast Implants out Without Surgery

I want my implants out, but I fear an additional surgery at this time ( my first was only 9 months ago). My surgeon gave me the option to deflate them with an 18 gauge needle and leave the implant in place. Is this safe? I also have an indent below my incision (nipple), I am told this is because my implant is sub-muscular and my muscle was released from my ribs; will this cause a deformity in my breast when the implant is removed? Please help! my surgery is in 2wks and I'm really scared!!

Options for implant removal

+3

It is perfectly "safe" to intentionally deflate a saline-filled implant and the breast should look like it did before the augmentation if the breast wasn't distorted by the procedure or improperly sized implant. This is not a good long term solution though. 

Deformity around the nipple-areola and the need to go back and remove or replace the implant later on are both good reasons not to do the initial augmentation through the areola. I disagree with the reason stated for the deformity you describe. 

For saline-filled implants, a 2 1/2 cm incision in the inframammary crease is all that is needed and I would do this for putting the implant in, removing them, or replacing them. Removal can be done fairly easily under local anesthesia if the incision is in the inframammary crease. 

One option to consider is to intentionally deflate the implants with a needle and see what the breasts look like. This does commit you to a removal or replacement at some point but does allow you to see what the result of removing the implants will look like. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant deflation

+2

I would not offer a deflation of the implant as a solution. I would remove the implant so that you have a permanent solution.

Breast Implant deflation and/or removal (explantation) and appearance

+1

I don't understand the purpose of deflating the implant and then leaving it in place. You can deflate it to get an idea of what it may look like with the implant out or to allow it to contract. I would simply remove the implants and give it 6-9 months, If the defect persists, you could consider fat grafting. 

Breast Implant Removal

+1

I would not offer this to my patients.  I would rather take the implants out.  This is a straignt forward procedure.  The procedure can be done in a procedure room under local anesthesia within one hour.  There will be no extra incision. Most Plastic Surgeon will feel very comfortable doing this for you. 

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Breast Implants CANNOT be removed without Surgery

+1
I realize you are very anxious about your surgery but your question discloses a significant amount of misinformation about breast augmentation. Information you SHOULD have had before having your augmentation. Just like breast implants require surgery to be put in - they require surgery to be removed. What your surgeon was referring to is that by deflating the implants you will get to see what the breast would look like without implants. That would allow you to decide if the next surgery is breast implant removal ORchanging the implants for a different volume. You REALLY need to get all your questiions answered before having thesurgery to decide what works best for you. Dr. Peter A Aldea

Fear not, explantation surgery is quite safe

+1

Fear not, explantation surgery is usually quite straight forward and and has little risk. The fact that your original surgery was 9 months ago is of no concern. Yes, your implants can be deflated by percutaneously puncturing them with a needle. The deflated implant can remain indefinitely and your breast will return to its original size and shape save for the fact that it might be minimally larger because of the residual silicon shell. This shell may also be palpable, but probably not because it will be collapsed under the muscle. But is it enough for you to have your breasts return to their original state and you are okay with the residual shell remaining in your breast? If not, then you do require a formal explantation procedure. As far as the indentation beneath the nipple I cannot comment on it sight unseen. However, I suspect that your surgeon may have to specifically address this issue at time of explantation because it may not resolve by simply removing the implant.

David A. Ross, MD