Should smaller implants be used with a lollipop lift? (photo)

When you remove the skin during a lollipop lift, should a smaller size implant be used because you have less skin to fill? I am 5'6" 130 lbs semi athletic build 50 years old. Bra size 36B or 34C. Looking for a more youthful, natural, perky shape and size. But certainly do not want them too big so they are In the way or look heavy chested. Would like to keep my same active lifestyle.

Smaller is safer

+2
Patients with breast ptosis have demonstrated that their soft tissue is not supporting the weight of the breasts in an aesthetically adequate fashion causing patients to seek a breast lift.  Adding weight of the implant serves to stress the soft tissues more than the natural weight of the breasts.  

So yes, the smaller the implant you choose the less the weight of the implant and the less stress the implant will cause your tissues.  

In addtion to implant size you may wish to discuss with your surgeon the pros and cons of placing mesh of collagen support in the breast to potentially increas the longevity of the lift.

Possible lift with implants alone

+1
This is what I do to maximize lift with a breast implant alone:

- use silicone cohesive gel implants. The more cohesive the better. I am not sure if these are available yet in the US, but the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 implants are ideal

- use high profile implants. The more projection you have, the more lift you will get

- have the implants placed in the submammary pocket (under the breast itself). You should have a pinch thickness at the top of your breast of at least 2 cm

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Avoid lollipop lift

+1
I personally never use the lollipop lift because it leaves ugly vertical scars and newer techniques have replaced it.If you are happy with the volume of your breasts in a bra then you only need a lift.I recommend The Ultimate Breast LiftTM.Your breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the use of implants.If you want to be bigger then implants can be added.At size 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing and Mastopexy

+1
There are many factors that are used when determining the size of breast implants for a patient.  Some of the factors are breast size, chest measurements, tissues and patient desires.  Mastopexy  (breast lift) can be performed in conjunction with breast augmentation or as an isolated procedure.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants with lift

+1
Thank you for your breast augmentation question.

I place the implants first - and then do the lift for the very reason you ask about. Skin may be too tight if the lift if done first.

I do not believe it is possible to tell you from photographs the best implant for you.
It requires a face-to-face examination with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. The implant depends on your chest measurements, your goals, height and weight, skin looseness and proportions.

All of that said, when combining a lift with an implant, choose the smallest implant that will meet your goals. It will give you your most natural result and place less tension on the lift.  I would not suggest anything larger than a 350 and that may be too large for the look you want. Best wishes

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Implants

+1
Thank you for the picture.

I would recommend a 350-375 cc high profile implant. This will enhance your breast with a natural look.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size Selection Accompanying Breast Lift

+1
Thank you for your question. It may be helpful to point out that a lift addresses nipple position and shape, and implants address volume. While they have an impact on one another, they are two separate procedures and can be addressed as such. The type of lift isn't dictated as much by the size of the implant as it is by your anatomy. You aren't "filling skin" with your implant. You create a pocket in underlying tissue that will be the envelope for the implant. After that is complete, the excess skin is removed and the nipple position lifted. Too large an implant can cause tension on the lift incision, but is far from the deciding factor. Make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to be assessed in person. Best of luck to you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift

+1

Breast implants should be considered to only give additional volume and/or more upper pole fullness. The choice to use implants at all or what size implant would be appropriate should not be based on any other issue like breast sagging. Similarly, the type of breast lift to use on a patient should be based on how much vertical and horizontal skin excess is present, and an implant should not be considered to supplement the desired outcome of a lift: to reposition the breast mound and nipple areolar complex.  The greater the skin excess in one or both directions, the more likely a 'bigger' lift will be necessary, going from a periareolar to a lollypop to an anchor type breast lift to address this excess.  Although it is true that one does affect the other, consideration of implants and lifts should be made separately and not contingent upon one another.

To use you as an example, you desire a modest enhancement in volume, a more youthful breast shape, and you have an active lifestyle.  I usually begin with the decision to use implants, and in your case that seems reasonable. A relatively small, low or intermediate profile implant will give you a modest boost in volume and excellent upper pole fullness. Next, I would assess your natural breast tissue envelope.  One breast has significantly more vertical and horizontal excess than the other, and that difference may or may not affect my decision to use a particular type of breast lift pattern.  In general, I prefer not to rely too much on circumareolar gathering of skin to address skin excess, as it has a detrimental outcome on breast shape and scar appearance. Instead, I would rather use the lollypop or anchor for breasts with too much skin excess. 

Augmentation Mastopexy is a complex surgery that has a higher rate of complications than either mastopexy or augmentation alone, at least by national averages.  However, surgeons specializing in cosmetic breast surgery do this operation frequently, and get complications no greater than performing the two surgeries separately.  Please visit only a few highly qualified surgeons that have great reputations for this surgery, not just implants alone. There credentials should include certification from the ABPS and membership with the ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1
As is the case over the internet we can ONLY GUESS!!! Best is in person opinions to address the concerns of volume vs skin excision... 

Smaller breast implants are usually used with any type of breast lift.

+1
You are correct that the amount of skin removed during a breast lift, lollipop or anchor, as an effect of the size of breast implant that may be placed.

The concern is that too large an implant will put pressure both on the breast lift incision and the nipple areola complex and can possibly result in nipple areola damage and widening or disruption of the incision line.

One method to alleviate this problem is to place the breast implant beneath the chest muscle.

However using very large breast implants can increase the complication rate during a lollipop lift or other breast lift.

Since you're looking for a natural breast size, you most likely will be happy with a smaller implant that can be used safely during breast lift.  Of course you need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for proper advice.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS