Will my Implants Shrink?

i had transumbical procedure today. I really thought from what we discussed i would be bigger. i already was a c, now i feel like a slightly bigger c. i heard there is minimal sweeling with transumbical , does that mean they may stay the same size? i can deal with this size , not extremly happy though...but if they go down in size i feel like i just threww $10,000 down the drain!! yes thats how much i paid...> :(

There is a going to be about a 15% reduction in apparent size afterwards

your breasts might look about 15% smaller after swelling goes away. I usually have my patients try on different breast sizes prior to surgery in order to see which size looks better on them.

Will implants shrink, one day post breast implants?

Thank you for the photos.  Unfortunately one cannot say if you are significantly different from pre-op as we don't have the photos.  Yes, you are swollen. This swelling may persist for a few weeks. Your implants probably seem "high" to you as well. This is normal as people usually look great on the table, and when they wake up the implants rise up toward the collar bone. They will usually start to move downward at about three weeks. It may take 6 to 12 months for some implants to settle into final position. Please let your board certified plastic surgeon know your concerns. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Swelling and Breast Appearance

It is normal to have swelling post breast augmentation, and swelling can impede for you to accurately to evaluate the size and shape of your breasts. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

TUBA and swelling

Breast augmentation surgery no matter with what technique causes swelling.  Usually the majority of swelling goes down over the first few weeks, but there may be residual swelling for several  months.  I agreee with Dr. Hess that it will probably go down about 10-15%.

TUBA and swelling

Sorry to hear you did not receive your expected result.  This is one of the most common complaints following breast augmentation.  Resolution of edema is certain to follow, however, the decrease in size is generally not dramatic.  I like to encourage patients to choose a size below the 500 cc range.  The larger the implant, the higher the risk of both short and long term complications.  You can expect a final size that may be 10-15 % smaller than what is observed in the first day after surgery. Good luck!!

Jason Hess, MD

Shrinking breasts after augmentation

Your result actually looks quite good, particularly for one day post op. The reduction in size from post operative swelling will probably be fairly minimal. You appear more in the D range from your photos.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Will They Shrink

Dear gigi88,

First of all, I think you look great for a few hours after surgery.  Based on these photos, I think you'll have a beautiful result.

The short answer is that the IMPLANTS will not shrink, but you will probably wind up being a little smaller than you are now.  The maximum swelling is about 1-2 days after surgery, and it goes down slowly after that, and then takes several months to settle completely.  The way you look at 24 hours is rarely how you will look at 6 months.

Furthermore, it's your own tissue that swells, not the implant.  So the smaller the implant relative to the amount of breast tissue you have, the MORE swelling you're likely to have.  Large implants in tight skin will typically be the most distorted early on, but there may not be as much of your own tissue that can swell.

The bottom line is that you will most likely wind up being a little smaller than you are now.  But the overall look and result are more important in many ways than the absolute bra size.  And taking that into consideration, I think you can be very happy with the way you look right now.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Will my Implants Shrink?

My issue is why are you not in a dressing or bra dressing. Did you remove the dressing? Yes there is always some edema or swelling no matter the operative approach. You photo shows a D cup to me. But a before photo would be helpful. From MIAMI

Will my Implants Shrink>

From the photos ,not seeing  you entirely,it stii seems that your breasts are larger than just C cup.

Since these are your pictures a few hours following the operation ,I can tell you with certainty  that some of the present swelling will subside in the next few days and in the weeks to come.

Erel Laufer, MD
Dunedin Plastic Surgeon

Breast Swelling after surgery

All surgery creates some swelling.  Swelling is usually maximal at 24 hrs and then slowly subsides.  Thus it is safe to say that your breast will decrease in size slightly once the swelling goes away and they'll settle down a little more.  Give it some time before feeling upset as you're still in the early healing stages.  As to the size, although it's difficult to see in the pictures, you certainly look larger than C cup.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD