Implants Shows when I Flex, Is this Normal?

I had a breast augmentation in 2008, going from an A to a full C. When I "flex" a certain way you can visibly see where my actual breast is & where my implant is (i think?) its an indentation in my breast and im very self conscious about this. I did get my implants below the muscle. Is this normal?

Implants move when Muscle Flexed

+1

Yes, this is a normal occurrence after sub-muscular placement of implants. It is called animation of the implants. If you desire to keep your implants sub-muscular and want to decrease the animation, a technique called a dual plane technique can help to reduce the amount of animation, I typically use this technique on the majority of my sub-muscular implant placements. In addition, you can place your implants sub-glandular, i.e. above the muscle, this will eliminate this problem but does tend to cause more long term problems when your breast size has been increased to a Full C cup from and A cup. I would encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Flexion deformity of breast

+1

It sounds like your implants were placed under the muscle and you have a slight flexion deformity.  Changing the implant pocket to a  subglandular approach may help with this problem.

Is it normal for my augmented breast to move when I flex?

+1

YES, the phenomenon you are referring to is "animation" of the augmented breast with pectoralis major muscle flexion.  If it bothers you enough, the problem can be corrected by surgical revision.

Steve Laverson, MD

Flexion deformity with submuscular placement of implants

+1
This is very common with submuscular placement of the implant. It happens when the pectoralis major muscle contracts and pushes the implant. This can be bothersome especially for someone who is active. Changing the implant position to a subglandular pocket can correct this deformity however you must have enough tissue to adequately cover your implants to avoid rippling. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Correction of breast implant animation deformity with split muscle technique

+1

The problem you describe is called an "animation deformity" and it is very common with the standard (dual plane) technique for placing implants under the muscle. It has been reported to occur to some degree in more than 75% of patients but seems to be largely ignored. There is a good way to correct it while saving muscle coverage over the upper part of the implant where it is most important; this is called the split muscle technique and I have been using it for more than 7 years. See the link below for specific information about it, and i would be happy to send a copy of an article i wrote.

Richard Baxter, MD

Flexing with Breast Implants

+1

Yes, "flexion deformity" may be seen with submuscular breast augmentation.  This is a downside to having implants placed submuscularly (but there are MANY upsides to submuscular placement).

It is possible to move the  implants from the sub muscular to the sub glandular position. However, there are many potential downsides to having implants in the subglandular position.  These include potential for rippling/palpability of the implants,  increased rates of encapsulation, and increased  interference with mammography.

Please make sure you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons before you decide to do any revisionary surgery so that you are aware of the potential risks associated with the revision.