Implants Shifted in Time Too Far Apart, How Can I Get Them Closer?

I've had implants 3 yrs and at first they were perfect but they shifted towards armpits. Is there a way to get them to shift again back together?

Breast implants that have shifted laterally

Lateral displacement of breast implants can be corrected with a capsular tightening procedure known as a capsulorraphy.  I would also consider changing the breast implants at the same time to expand the breast diameter. 

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Implants that are too lateral.

You would likely benefit from modification of your implant pockets with a procedure that opens up the pocket medially and closes it off laterally.   This may involve a "neopocket" procedure, a capsulorrhaphy, or the use of acellular dermal matrix such as Strattice. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508

Breast revisionary surgery

I recommend consulting a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest option for you. Lateral displacement or implant mal-positioning can be corrected with revisionary surgery. I usually use a technique called capsulorophy (lateral). This involves the use of permanent sutures (internal) to close off the breast implant pocket, so that the implant cannot move to the side (especially when the patient lies down). Pateitns enjoy the improved cleavage when upright or lying down.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Dear Dez,

I am sorry to hear about the migration of your breast implants. Yes, revision involving repair of the implant pocket and possible implant exchange may be able to fix the problem. Please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

77 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

Lateral shifting breast implants can be improved with lateral capsulorphy and exchange for textures silicone gel implants

You probably have smooth walled saline or gel implants which have migrated out laterally. A revision mamoplasty with a lateral capsulorphy (suturing the soft tissue closed laterally, will close the pocket and move the implants more medially. I have found that exchanging the smooth wall implants for textured gel implants in a new pocket will give a better result that is more likely to stay fixed. The breast tissue almost always  grows onto the implant and makes the breast stay where it has been repositioned. In addition if you have smooth wall saline, the new textured gel will look and feel more natural. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

1040 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Implants far apart

This can generally be revised.  Photos would help but a couple of things come to mind.  I will often place a suture internally along the side to close the pocket off.  Sometimes I also open the pocket more on the opposite side.  If you want to go slightly bigger or use a slightly wider implant that can help as well. Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

10791 Double R Boulevard
Reno, NV 89521

Breast Implants Too Far Apart

The determination of whether or not breast implants are placed too far apart (lateral malposition) can only be done with front view upright photos. If the position was just right for the first few months, then the pocket may be fine but the skin has stretched (some skin stretch is inevitable). If they look fine upright but seem too far apart when you are lying flat, then I would recommend to do nothing. If they are truly too far apart upright, then you need an implant pocket revision, not an easy procedure. Most plastic surgeons would close the outer (lateral) pocket and probably open the inner (medial) pocket if necessary. Textured implants would be less likely to move around but they have other drawbacks. In closing the outer pocket, some surgeons would use permanent stitches but I would use dissolving stitches because if the stitches create any dimpling or irregularities, it will be permanent.

Joseph Fata, MD

10293 N. Meridian St
Indianapolis, IN 46290