Implants Have No Shape. Worse Than Normal Breast? (photo)

I had my surgery done 2 days ago with a new sientra tear drop implant. I feel like the implant just made me look worse. They didn't get me a round shape, or a tear drop shape. If anything, I look like my nipples are too low, and they look cylinder. I was told to wait 3 months if no change, I could be charged AGAIN to get a round implant instead. The tear drop was the doctors choice. I told him either round or tear drop, whichever he thought would look best.Will my best go to a normal shape soon?

2 days is not a final look

I'm sure the message over and over is "be patient". I hope by now that you are very happy with your breasts. The results at 2 days (really for the first 3 months) are in flux. I have had patients tell me after the second week that their breasts look different every single day!
There will be settling of the breasts for sure over time, and I think the shaped implants were a good choice for you. I think they are the implants most likely to avoid a breast lift in your case, given the "push" that the shaped implants have on the lower pole, the lower portion of your breast.

Early Augmentation Result

The best option when questions arise post-operatively is to call your own surgeon. Have him or her evaluate you and address your concerns as only they know exactly what was done during surgery as well as what your discussions, concerns and expectations were before surgery.

Having another surgeon, who knows none of this, address these questions is unfair to your own surgeon and may provide you with misinformation that will yield more confusion and concern and potentially strain the relationship with your own surgeon.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

2 Days Post-Op From Breast Augmentation with Sientra Shaped Breast Implants

At two days you will have swelling and the tissue of your breasts will be stretched out and definitely not normal.  Be patient!  I think at 3 to 4 months you will be much happier with your result.  You had fairly low nipples to begin with and the implants will not actually change that measurement but will make them "look" a little higher.  I have found that the Sientra textured implant like you had placed will look and feel better with time.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

While its too early to truly evaluate your results with the implants, one thing stands out in both your pictures.  You have some drooping/ptosis of your breasts which aren't addressed with just breast augmentation, no matter which type of implant.  Eventually, after you have fully healed, you may benefit from a breast lift or mastopexy to address your concerns.  Give at least 3 months before making any decisions.

Post-op day 2 Sientra Implants

At 2 days post-op, you are too early on to see your final result. You need to wait about 2-3 weeks until the muscle stretches, the skin relaxes and implants “fall” into a better position. It does look like you have a bit of ptosis (droop), but give your implants some time. If you are not happy with your results in about 3 months, you may actually need a mastopexy (lift), not a different implant. Hang in there. Wait a few weeks and things will continue to change. Good luck!

Breast lift surgery is often the solution for sagging breasts

You have a fair amount of sagging breast tissue. This issue is not corrected with breast augmentation surgery. The good news is that you could have a breast lift done and achieve an ideal aesthetic result.

It is a bit early, but there are some things that can be said now

Although it is a bit early to draw firm conclusions about your result, I think it is clear that you are correct in your observation that your nipples are low and your breasts have a bit of an oblong shape.  This is because they did beforehand, and little was done to correct this with the surgery.  You had a bit of breast ptosis, or drooping, and this causes the nipples to be low and the tone and shape of the breast to be off.  Most times when a woman has ptosis, she needs some type of lifting procedure in conjunction with a breast implant.  This may be the case with you too.  I wouldn't be so quick to blame the implants themselves, rather I would suggest waiting a couple of months and re-evaluating things.  It is entirely possible that once things finish settling, all that needs to be done is to perform a minor lifting procedure over the existing implants without touching them at all; this might even be possible under a local anesthetic, and this will save more on expenses as an anesthesiologist won't be required.  In any event, your surgeon will be best equipped to make the final assessment with you, but I agree with you, something more will need to be done to produce the breasts that I think you are looking for.

Implants at two days

At two days it is too early to determien what the breasts will look like in a few months. Give them time to settle.  Good luck.

Concerned about Shape of Breasts after Breast Augmentation?

Although your concerns are understandable,   is much too early to be concerned about the size/shape of your breasts just a few days after breast augmentation surgery.  I would suggest that you allow for several months to pass before evaluating the results of the procedure performed.  

Implants Have No Shape. Worse Than Normal Breast

I am not sure what your expectations were and what was discussed with your surgeon. Among your complaints, I do concur that the nipples and areolas appear low, as they do in the before photo. Switching to round implants will not correct that--only  a breast lift to reposition the nipples and areolas will. 

It almost always is worth waiting three months for the implants to settle as the overall shape often changes as the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate the implants. I do suspect that if a secondary procedure is considered at that time, it may well be a breast lift. All the best.