Should I Have Implants Replaced or Removed Entirely?

I had 400cc implants ten years ago and a lift. i was a 34b and went to a 34dd. Now I want to have the implants removed and go back to a B cup. Will i need to have another set of implants to get a B cup or just a lift?

Removing breast implants after augmentation and lift

+3

Although it is certainly complex and hard to sort out what's what in a given patient after 10 years, there are a few things that can be figured. 

In my opinion and experience, breast implants are just pillow volume and they don't lift the breast when they're put in and the breasts don't fall or sag when they're taken out. If the implants were properly sized and positioned to begin with they shouldn't have affected anything about the breast itself or what was going to happen to it over time. If the implant is removed 10 years later then the breast should look like it would have looked after 10 years if the implant wasn't there. If the implants were above the pectoralis muscle, too wide, or too forward projected for the breast then the tissues might have been distorted or stretched by the implant. 

Since there was a lift done at the time of placing the implants then there are scars and changes in the breast that were caused by the lift and these are less predictable over time. The apparent bra cup size of the breast is very difficult to measure and much of the apparent size of a breast is due to it's position and shape. Removing implants always makes the breast look saggy even if it doesn't actually sag just like putting an implant in makes the breast look like it got lifted even though it didn't. 

Unless the nipple position is clearly too low relative to the inframammary crease level I would recommend a simple implant removal and then reassess the need for an implant or secondary lift procedure. With saline implants removal can be done with local anesthesia only as a minor office procedure for minimal cost.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal

+2

Based on your description, implant removal is likely to give you the B cup that you desire. Without seeing you in person, it's hard to say for certain, but I might recommend the implant removal and breast lift. However, an in-person exam might change my mind because if you have little breast tissue left, you could end up smaller than might be desireable. This can be determined by a physical exam, so it would be best for you to meet with a trusted, board certified plastic surgeon in person for his or her thoughts and recommendations.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal: what to expect

+2

Removing implants after 10 years will leave your breasts different than they were 10 years ago.  Having had impalnts will have stretched your skin, some of the fat volume is not lost, plus you have to account for normal body aging.  Typically a patient like you will need a lift to leave the breasts normal looking.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implant removal.

+2

I would probably advise you to have the implants removed and an uplift and see how you feel with the breast volume that you have.  If you are unhappy with it, you can always have implants put in as a second stage.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size reduction

+2

It all depends on the condition of your breast tissue, skin, etc. If your breasts are overly stretched, have severe thinning and/or striae (stretch marks), removal without replacement can get complicated by a poor outcome and further lack of satisfaction on your side. It is best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with adequate experience in breast revision surgery. Sometines switching to smaller implants is a more desireable option to achieve the best outcome. Good luck. 

S. Daniel Golshani, MD

Breast tissue compression

+2

Dear England,

After ten years of having breast implants, it is highly likely that your previous breast tissue volume of a B cup has been compressed to something less than that now.  So, if you wish to maintain a B cup you will probably need a small implant.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast contouring, #BreastAugmentation, #Breastlift, #mastopexy

+2

Dear England 4385

Thank you for your question.  The answer is not easy- but- removal of the implant will result in a significant size reduction of your breasts AND the breast lift will make your breasts look smaller even if NO tissue is removed.  SO, you may want a small implant.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Back to a B

+2

You ask a complex question because the relationship among the factors that determine breast size and shape cannot be determined from your question.  If your skin quality has remained the same without any loss of elasticity and the amount breast tissue has not changed with age, then in all likelihood an implant removal(explanatation) and lift (mastopexy) will be sufficient.  If what you desire is a higher,fullerl breast with a tighter and more youthful appearing skin envelope, then indeed an implant may be required.  These complex questions can be answered in a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Make certain that you communicate all of your questions fully as what you are contemplating falls under the category of a secondary surgery. Hope this helps.

Richard J. Wassermann, MD, MPH
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you were a 34b prior to surgery, and you want to return to a B cup, it is quite possible that you will still be a B after removal without another implant.  However, if you have lost a significant amount of weight since your surgery, or you have had children and breast fed,  your breasts could be smaller than a B cup.  If you have saline implants, it is possible to deflate the implants before surgery so that you can get an idea of how much volume of your own natural breast that you have.  This could help you decide.  The other option that I offer my patients is to have surgery under local anesthesia so that during the procedure, you can see your size, and determine if you want implants or not.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant removal options

+2

It is impossible to tell what you need with out an examination. However, after a previous Mastopexy and 400 cc breast implants, my guess is that you will need another breast lift and a small implant to achieve a perky 34B again. Since, at a 34 chest, 400 cc’s corresponds to about 3 bra cup sizes, it may be possible to simply do the Mastopexy and still have a reasonable sized breast. However, frequently after an implant of that size you may have had some breast tissue atrophy. If that is so, you cannot return to your pre-augmentation size without a small implant to replace the breast tissue lost. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your precise desires to learn what is really possible for you.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon