Breast Implant Removal - Does Scar Capsule Need to Be Removed?

I just had my implants put in a week ago. I am scheduled to have them removed in 2 weeks. Will it be necessary to remove the scar capsule since it has been such a short time since they were inserted? What are the benefits of removing the scar capsule?

Hello! Thank you for your question! It is a matter of surgeon preference as well as what is seen during your procedure that will determine whether or not a complete capsulectomy is performed. If significant capsule formation is seen intraoperatively, a full capsule removal may be warranted with a drain in order to completely remove all of the tissue and allow better adherence of your breast back to its normal anatomic position down on your chest wall. If minimal contracture is seen, it may be possible to leave the capsule, or place cuts within the capsule to allow better adherence. It truly is dependent on what is seen with your capsule and the issues that may be causing you to have such a procedure (e.g., contracture from rutptured implant vs pain vs simple pocket adjustment, etc). Most likely drains will be required.

Without knowing your issues and without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what may be the best thing for you. I tend to favor performing capsulectomies (in an en bloc fashion) in order to create a fresh pocket, reshape the pocket, allow better shape and adherence of the overlying breast. I would discuss your issues with your plastic surgeon who will assist you in determining the right modality for you. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Capsulectomy with Breast Implant Removal?

If your breasts implant capsules are soft and asymptomatic,  there are no benefits to having them removed.  Best wishes.

Removal of breast implants and other procedures

Since it's only been 3 weeks since your surgery, I don't think you'll need capsule removal.  However, it's hard to say without actually seeing you in person.

Breast implant removal and capsulectomy

With such a limited amount of time being in place, it is my opinion you would not benefit from a capsulectomy or en bloc removal of the capsule/

Explantation Breast Implant

Breast implant capsule start to form in 4-6 weeks.

If there is capsule then IT SHOULD BE REMOVED. The body does not absorb it always, and can fill with fluid. (many reports in the literature)

You are too early and probably do not have a well developed capsule, so you do not need that.

Follow you Physician"s advise

Removing breast implants

With your implants in such a short time, there is really no great reason to remove the scar capsules.  You should heal just fine with them still in place.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Breast Capsules and Implant Removal

If you have having your implants removed and it is only because you are unhappy with them then removal of the breast capsule is not necessary.   The body will simply dissolve the capsule.

Dr. ES

Re: Breast implant removal - does scar capsule need to be removed?

It is unfortunate that you are having to have your implants removed just after having undergone the surgery, but it is totally unnecessary to remove whatever capsule may have formed in your short post operative time frame. Even after years, you only need to remove a small portion of the capsule and the body seals the potential dead space nicely. I also have never had the need to use drains.

Implant removal

It is unlikely that you wil lneed to have the breast implant capsule removed if you are having your implants removed.