Will Implants Keep Perky Breasts Perky?

I've heard that breast implants will keep breasts perkier longer (breast-feeding not included). Is this true? If I am young and still have lifted, perky breasts, will implants postpone the sag?

Implants and perky breasts

+1

The answer to this is rather straightforward even without a good definition for "perky". Breast implants are only pillow volume. They don't make breasts perky and they don't keep them perky. Properly sized and positioned they also don't make breasts sag or lose perkiness just because they're there. It's a myth that implants lift, tone, or otherwise have any effect on breasts. In certain situations they can make the breast look more perky but don't expect them to have anything to do with how they age or change with pregnancy, weight, hormones, or other stressors. Even gravity doesn't really offer any explanation as it is operating on all breasts and some sag and some don't and some sag early and some sage late whether they have pillows behind them or not. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants - Does an Implant "Lift" the Breasts? (No, sorry...)

+1

Hi,

Well, unfortunately, Gravity almost always wins...

Actually, a small implant can give the impression of perkiness, and will certainly improve the shape of the breast. An implant does not, on its own, "raise" or "lift" the breast (perhaps someday, when helium implants are invented?...) 

If you measure the position of the nipple from a fixed point (like the mid-sternal notch), it will not be raised to any significant degree by the insertion of a breast implant.  If the implant drops too far it may rotate the nipple up, but that's not necessarily a pleasing look if the bulk of the breast volume is below the nipple.

And, finally, the larger the implant, the more the breasts are likely to actually drop over time.  Remember that Gravity issue...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Implants keeping breasts perky

+1

This is a difficult question to answer without pictures or an examination.  How "perky" your breast will remain over time will depend on a number of factors.  These include your starting breast size, the size of your implant, weight gain or loss and breast feeding.  Furthermore other factors that we cannot control such as aging and gravity will also have an effect.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Will Implants Keep Perky Breasts Perky?

+1

All four previous experts posters have given a common view of the shall I call it - "the Perky Factor". The basic issue in my opinion is what you start with as far as the appearance of your breasts. Than you must consider the gravity weight effect of the implant over time. Can "most" have perky breasts? Most likely not, but a few should be able to. 

Will Breast Implants Prevent My Breasts from Sagging?

+1

Breast perkiness depends on a number of factors (including size, shape, fullness, tightness of the skin and envelope) that often change over time due to aging, breastfeeding, hormone alternations, weight fluctuations, and gravity. In general, breast implants add fullness (which tends to make the breasts more perky) but may also stretch the skin (which tends to contribute to sagging). So the answer to your question - will breast implants keep perky breasts perky? - is, well, it depends.

Having said all this, I think it is important to point out that if you are concerned about future sagging, it would be most appropriate to address the sagging if and when it is occurs. If you desire larger and fuller breasts now, breast augmentation may be appropriate. If, on the other hand, you are happy with the current size and perky shape of your breasts, I would not recommend many any changes.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Breast implants and perky breasts

+1

Breast implants will help fill out lost volume but they won't significantly raise the nipple up higher on the chest.  Discuss this with your doctor to help you determine whether you need a breast lift along with the breast augmentation.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Perky breasts

+1

Perkiness or I assume breasts that are not sagging really depend upon a lot of things. Large implants may cause early sagging from the weight.  It also depends upon the quality of the skin.

Implants and perky breasts

+1

Perky breasts are not an anatomically defined state. With simple deflation of the breast, filling the volume with an implants can reduce the sagging look. However, implants that displace lower can increase the saggy appearance or even create sagginess over time due to gravity stretching the skin.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.