I've Had Implants For a Few Years, Can I Get A Lift Without Exchanging Implants?

I decided to get implants a couple years back they took about a year to heal and get into place ( horrific) now that they have settled I'm not satisfied with the results, I would like to get a lift as I hoped for perkier breast. Can I get a breast lift while keeping the same implants? I read on a couple of sites that this is possible but when I asked my Dr ( who doesn't do lifts) he said, "no", I would need to go through the NEW IMPLANT JOB all over again

Lift after implants

+2

Unless your implants are way too big (or too small, for that matter),  I don't know why you couldn't have a lift without changing out the implants.  If your plastic surgeon was trying to achieve a lift by putting in over-sized implants, when you really needed a lift in the first place, then you may want to have smaller implants put in. Without pictures and without knowing the size of your implants, it is difficult to say.

Was this done by a board certified plastic surgeon? I am surprised he doesn't do lifts.  I would definitely get another opinion.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Lift without implant exchange

+1

A breast lift can be done without exchanging your implants as long as your implants are intact.  It is important for you to discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon the look you are hoping to achieve from surgery.  He or she should be able to help you decide if it can be accomplished from the lift alone, or if different implants are recommended.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Old implants with breast lift

+1

In some cases a lift may be done without implant exchange.  You should have several Board certified Plastic Surgeon evaluations before your proceed.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

+1

Best to see your surgeon and some other boarded PSs in your area to have an in person evaluation. In some cases you can have a lift without exchanging the implants. 

Can a breast lift be done without implant exchange?

+1

Yes it can be done assuming that your breasts are soft and you do not experience a capsular contracture. I'm perplexed as the other surgeons are, about your surgeon not able to do a breast lift. Is he/she a plastic surgeon or some other specialty who learned this on a weekend course? The fact that it took you a year to heal is very odd indeed. Please get another opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon (not cosmetic surgeon). ASPS (plasticsurgery.org) has a list of board certified surgeons in your area. Good Luck.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift without changing Implants

+1

First of all, any qualified plastic surgeon will do a lift if you need one and will not require new implants if yours are only two years old and of a size that is satisfactory to you. So the next thing to do is find a good board certified plastic surgeon. He'll answer your questions. It;s pretty hard to answer questions on the internet without at least a good set of medical quality photos.

"Real" plastic surgeons do breast lifts (even after implants). Who did your surgery?

+1

As you have found out, breast implants do NOT lift breasts, they only fill loose skin. And if your nipples point down, they will still point down. It sounds as if you had implants placed by a doctor who is not an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon (you can check at   plasticsurgery.org  ), since every reputable ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who performs breast augmentation also performs breast lifts.

In borderline cases of ptosis (breast droop or sagging), I often perform breast augmentation first, as filling the loose skin can often yield very nice aesthetic results without the scars, cost, and additional variables of healing that a breast lift requires. And, if needed, as with your case, it can always be added later, often with the same implants. Of course, if capsular contracture or malposition is an issue, more work and perhaps different implant size or type may be recommended.

You need to see one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons for consultation, and it doesn't seem like your initial surgeon is one of these! Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/implant-revision

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Use only Board Certified Plastic Surgeons for breast augmentations and lifts

+1

As is Dr. Baxter, I am very concerned that you might have gone to a non-plastic surgeon as there are many people out there doing breast augmentations who are not properly trained.  I can't imagine a real plastic surgeon who does not do breasts lifts.  Also, if you need a lift because the nipple areola are low or point down, no amount of implant excahnging will ever fix that, only a lift will do.  If your implants are intact, are a good size and have no problems, there is no reason why you can't leave them alone and do the lift.  Sounds like you really need some other opinions.

Lift after implants

+1

If your breasts are sagging it sounds perfectly reasonable to have a lift without exchanging your implants provided that the pockets are soft.  

Breast lift after breast augmentation

+1

Many women may find that after a breast augmentation, they now require a lift.  In fact, some surgeons even stage the two procedures under certain circumstances (perform each procedure as a separate surgery).  So to answer your question -- yes, it is possible to perform a breast lift without changing your implants.  Of course, this would depend on how old your implants are and if they are still intact.  I would suggest that you discuss this option with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon