Will Implants Appear Larger After Dropping or Smaller from Decreased Swelling?

I had my implant exchange for silicone and changing to submuscular placement yester. My dr and I had discussed using 700-800cc hp. I wanted very full d's/small dd. He ended up using 650cc & I can't help feeling a little disappointed. They are no where near the size that I desired, in fact they don't look much larger than when I had my 450cc over the muscle(read that you lose 15% of size when you go under the muscle?)They are wrapped up but won't they only get smaller as the swelling goes down?

Will breast implant look larger or smaller over time

+3

The overall volume will go down slightly as the swelling decreases, but often the breast will seem larger as the implants drop, simply because they will fill your bra out more, less of the implant will be above and outside of the cup.  Hopefully, you are satisfied with 650's, they will be noticably larger than your old 450's and will likely give you far less trouble than 700-800 would have. 

+3

If you are already "disappointed" one day following your replacement surgery than you need to discuss with the operative surgeon. The issue of realistic expectations, realistic outcomes, and being on the same page as your chosen surgeon comes to mind. But best to allow at least 1 month of healing before becoming upset. 

Will implants look smaller over time?

+2

Well, 650cc implants are very large implants, and 700cc implants are only 7% larger than the 650's.  It is way to early to worry about being disappointed. From the looks of your photo in your bandages, you have a pretty significant "shelf" already at "only" 650cc.  There can be limits to how large an implant will safely fit into a patient, depending on their tissues.  And I assume you have been warned about the increasing risks of large implants causing irreversible skin and tissue stretching, "drop out" of implants, etc.  It is important to be aware of the risks that you assume when you choose very large implants.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Wait three to four months

+1
You may experience a change in breast shape so that they look more natural, and this may or may not make your breasts appear smaller—partly due to a subsiding of swelling. You will have to wait for your breasts to drop and fluff, which takes about three to four months. By that time, your breasts will gradually round out at the bottom to resemble a more natural breast contour, and you can see if you like the size then. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implants will not appear larger after dropping

+1

The implant shape may change but they will not looks smaller as they drop. At this point you just need to wait and allow gravity and you tissues to accommodate to the implant volume.

650 cc implants

+1

Certainly there is a component of swelling from the surgery, and this will subside with time. They may look a bit bigger with the swelling.