Implants in for 6+ Years - Thought Was Rupture but Was an Infection

I've had my implants in for 6+ years... I had some pain about 3 months ago in the breast but thought nothing of it. A few weeks ago I felt my right implant could "push" in so I went to see my surgeon, had an ultrasound and it was determined by right implant had ruptured. I had surgery to remove my implant, and they discovered that the implant was actually intact. I had actually had an infection that has eaten the shell away and had a thick white pus. Has anyone heard of this before?

You are concerned about your silicone implants...

+1

It is a shame that you have had a problem with your implants but it does sound like your surgeon is doing the right thing by removing the implant. Your discription is confusing since you mentioned no rupture but the shell was eaten away. You should have also had redness and fever.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chronic breast implant infections

+1

Something does not add up in your story. Thick white pus should have been more symptomatic with heat, redness swelling etc. There is a chance that the infection was an atypical bacteria, ALCL or something else. The important thing is to not put another implant in right away, make sure the other implant is not affected and be on the appropriate medical management such as antibiotics for the appropriate length of time.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Implant issues

+1

Sometimes studies do report false positives in terms of ruptures. As for this "white pus"  it is unclear fromyour description what this was.

Infection 6 years after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the delayed complication you have experienced. 

I have had experience with delayed fluid accumulation (seromas)  several years after breast augmentation surgery.  However, nothing similar to the “thick white pus” that you describe.

Hopefully, you are under the care of a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and the remainder of your course will be complication free.