Getting Implants in 9 Days! Nervous on Sizing? (photo)

Hello! I am from Canada & am getting mentor gummy bear silicone implants! I am currently a 32b/34a. am approximately 5'3 & weigh 130lbs (I have a lot of muscle) I am getting these under the muscle & am nervous on sizing! I have tried them on but am stuck on 2 sizes! My doctor suggested to go up 25cc from what "look" I like the best as they will appear smaller once completely healed. I try not to get hung up on cup size but don't want to look top heavy! What size will 425 and 450 make me?!

Breast implant size

+2

Thank you forthe photo and for providing the photos. Selection of the implant size is often one of the biggest sources of anxiety for women having an augmentation. While is can be helpful trying on sizers and using using systems, there is still a lack of precision, and the choice is difficult.

Given the choice between 2 sizes that are 25cc's apart, it is important to remember that you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 after surgery. The 25cc difference is only 2 tbl spoons, and in a 400cc implant, is less than 10%. If you look at the dinensions, it is likely 1mm or less in additional projection, with a minimal increase in width. So the bottom line is to try to not worry too much aboout it.

It is impossible to promise a cup size after the surgery. Your final bra size wil be based on the amount of breast tissue that you start with, how you wear your bras, and where you buy your bras. I am sure that either size will look great for you.

If you remain unsure, I would suggest going with the larger size, as it is rare for women to wish that they went smaller afterwards and not uncommon to wish that they were a touch larger.

I hope that this helps to allay any fears. Best of luck with your augment.

Jeff Rockmore

Albany Plastic Surgeon

I suspect that you will be in the small D range

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  You are correct in that cup sizes are variable.  Based on your starting cup size your height and your implant size that you are considering you will likely be around a small D cup size in most bra brands you try on.  Of course more important than your cup size will be the overall shape and balance of your body.  Height is one of the most important components of not looking top top-heavy for a given breast size.  You also have a very athletic looking body so you'll have to take this into consideration with regards to breast size.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast augmentation

+1
You will look pretty large with any of those choices.

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Breast Surgery

+1
The more active you are the more I push patients to go smaller as I worry that if they look too big they will be unhappy because it makes your body look big

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant size

+1

Good question and one of the hardest to answer on line. To evaluate this you need to take measurements, have a discussion, and try on implants within a bra. That being said, 400 cc implants are reasonable and not small. Definitely try them on in a sports bra and one of your preferred tops.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Implant Sizing - How Do I Make The Right Decision?

+1

You stated you were debating between a 425 and 450cc submuscular breast implants.  You chose a 425 implant placed in a bra that you looked at in the mirror in your plastic surgeon's office as the correct size for you.  Your plastic surgeon recommended a 450cc implant.  You were worried that the 450 would be too large.  Your plastic surgeon advised that implants placed underneath the muscle appear smaller than they do when the implant is lying loose in a bra.

Dear Robyn, I have to apologize as I have cheated by looking at your total profile and found that after your surgery, you were surprised at how much smaller your implants looked under your muscle than during your pre-operative sizing even though you went with the larger 450 cc implant. 

Thank you for this question as it goes to the heart of the really complex problem for breast augmentation plastic surgeons.  Please understand our goal is not to create big or small breasts, but to create happy patients.  Sizing is very difficult and it has been my experience that the implants appear 10-15% larger during the pre-operative sizing than they do 6 months after the breast augmentation.  This is definitely true if the implants are placed below the muscle. 

That is why I have my patients try on several sizes with implants placed in a bra and with a T-shirt on, that we provide.  Once they find the size they like, we put an implant 10-15% smaller in the bra so they can see what it will really look like.  Photographs are taken with the implant, bra and T-shirt on, with 15% smaller and 15% larger implants than the chosen size.  These photographs are placed on TouchMD so that my patients can review these at home with their husbands or boyfriends.  This is done during the first consultation, and then a second sizing is done during the history and physical.  This allows my patient the greatest amount of control over her probably outcome. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the Right Sized Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for sharing you photos along with your post.

Simply, what you are going through is very common. The good news is that the difference between 425cc and 450cc is about 2 teaspoons spread over the entire volume of the implants.

With that, I do not believe that one would be able to tell a difference between the 425cc implants in both breasts or the 450cc ones.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Size

+1

I am not a huge fan of those anatomic implants that you are talking about. They can look good but if they rotate in the pocket you will not be happy. Make sure your surgeon is well experienced because the pocket has to fit like a glove. If the pocket is too big the implant can rotate later. It can rotate either way. So I am assuming these are anatomic implants because that is the only gummy bear implant I have seen in the USA.

With respect to sizing, 25 cc's is nothing. It literally is some water in the bottom of the glass. I really do not see major changes until we talk 75-100 cc differences. Here is how you size a breast for an implant.  Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Cup size after implants?

+1

First, 25 cc's is not going to make a big difference between the two implants. Second it is difficult to predict cup size because no two bra companies manufacture bras the same way.  Assume about two cup size increase with 400 or more cc's.