Breast Implants with a History of DVT?

I am very interested in getting breast implants, but I've gotten DVT in the past (from pregnancy.) I found out that I have a genetic clotting disorder as well (prothrombin gene mutation heterozygous.) I know that there is a risk for clotting from any surgery. Should I not get implants?

Breast Implants with a History of DVT

+1

I would perform surgery in consultation with your hematologist. However this surgery is typically low risk for clotting, Having said that, I have had one woman out of thousands, develop a clot after breast augementation surgery alone so it is not impossible.

DVT and breast implants

+1

I have had several patients over the years with a similar history.  They all went for a hematology work-up with recommendations given by the hematologist. This would be the first step.

Risk of DVT with Breast Augmentation

+1

There are many risks with any surgery. DVT just happens to be one of them. In you, this risk is much greater than normal because of your congenital problem. You need to do what everyone does before deciding on an elective cosmetic procedure, evaluate the risks against what you will gain from the surgery. I would talk to your hematologist about your risks and if there is anything other than using an anticlotting drug until several weeks after surgery that you could do to reduce your risks. You might consider having the procedure under local anesthesia so you can move your legs during the procedure.

I would use sequential compression leggings to continually push the blood back to your heart during surgery and, definitely, use an anticlotting drug the day of and for at least 2-4 weeks postoperatively. Since you have had no problem other than with pregnancy (where the baby obstructed the main vein from the legs) this should make your risks equal to most other people. You should make sure your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and that your procedure is done in a certified facility.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon