Implants Seem Really High. Will They Drop? (photo)

Hi. I am 12 days post breast aug and I am very concerned about my implants being too high. I realize that it is still very early in my recovery, however I would like some advice on the look and shape at this stage in my progression. Is there any indication that they are in the right position to drop? For reference, I am a 32 year old mother of twins and nursed for 2 years. I am 5'2, 112 pounds and had 375cc silicone implants placed beneath the muscle. Thank you.

Implants Seem Really High

+2

Thank you for your question and for the attached photos. It is very common for the implants to appear to be high riding early in the post-op period.

Dropping: Submuscular implants are sitting as if they are at the bottom of an envelope. The breast fold, like the bottom of the envelope keep the implants from descending. At the upper pole is a large space under the muscle and above the ribs, and that space goes up to the clavicle (collar bone). Typically the implant position looks fine at surgery. As the patient awakens, the relaxed pectoralis muscle contracts, pushing on the implant. This displaces the silicone (or saline) which bulges into the upper pole, the only direction with room to expand. The lower pole of the breast may seem to empty out. But the implant itself doesn't actually move. As the muscle relaxes over several months, the upper pole no longer bulges and the implant position looks like it did in surgery.

One thing I cannot tell without preop photos, and that is whether you might have needed a lift. On the 45 degree view, the breast fold looks even with the nipple. Now the photo was not taken at a proper angle, but the nipple and areola do look low. If that turns out to be part of the problem, only a breast lift will fix it.

All the best. 

Looks Good So Far But Wait 3-4 Months Before Assesssing Results

+1
When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”.

As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.
Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

High implants

+1

As you have heard from other comments, it is important to let things settle before making any decisions regarding further surgery. It is still very early days and they will be great changes in the months to come.

Without the benefit of pre-operativer photos it is also difficult to comment on your breast envelope and ptosis (droopiness) but sometimes patients do require uplift surgery too.

Keep discussing things with your surgeon, be patient and I sure everything will work out

Take care

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants under the muscle can take 3 months to drop to their final position

+1

Thank you for your photograph in question. Breast implants under the muscle can take much longer to drop into position sometimes up to 3 months.

In some cases a breast lift can be needed in addition to breast augmentation but it is far too early to make that decision and your case. Give your breast implants more time and of course express your concerns to your plastic surgeon

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Implant Position

+1

As others have stated the implant can appear high soon after surgery. Yes, as time passes it will "settle". The question is will it settle enough. The problem is that before surgery you could have had some component of ptosis (droopiness). Having twins and breast feeding for 2 years is not in your breast's favor. The best thing to do at this point is wait and see what happens. You may want to wait 4 to 6 months to see what happens. If you still are not pleased with your appearence you should consider a mastopexy (breast lift).

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Implant Position at 12 Days

+1

The implant position at 12 days is almost always high, and your early result is no exception.  Massage and time will cause them to drop.

Implants too high?

+1

At twelve days post-op the implants will be a bit high, as for the final positionit is hard to tell, but your nipples do look low to begin with and you  may need a lift.

A combination of ptosis and normal post op positioning

+1

i think the reason that you think the implants are so high is that in fact your nipples are a bit low.  having had twins that is very normal.  in fact, without having seen you preop i would guess that you fall in to the category of "maybe" needing a breast lift.  most of the patients in this category i start with an augmentation alone.  most patients are very happy with the augmentation without the lift.  early on, however, the implants will appear high.  the thing you have to realize is that your breasts are not the same as they were when you were twenty and before you had children.

Eric Chang, MD

Implants Seem Really High. Will They Drop?

+1

My guess is NO. You might consider a breast lifting operation at this point. Best to discuss with your surgeon. 

Implants too high

+1

Your pictures do show high subpectoral implants with breast tissues on the lower pole of the implant. This is a common results in woman with grade I ptosis who had undergone subpectoral implant placement. I would wait for at least 3 to 6 months for final result before considering revision. I would not consider breast lift but rather change the placement of implants from subpectoral to subglandular.

Mytien Goldberg, MD