Do Implants Look High/nipples Look Low? (Photos)

I had a breast augmentation 4.5 months ago. Do my implants look high/nipples look low? If so, do you think they will continue to drop/fluff?

Breast Augmentation and Implant Malposition

+5

Hello Pettitegirl5,

With the exception for Dr. Johnson, I respectfully disaggree with the recommendations of the other 10 responders to your question. Both of your implants are sitting too high, especially the right implant, to be considered normal.  It is very difficult to make truly accurate assessments with only photographs and not conduct an actual examination, but it looks like there may be an element of capsular contracure to the right implant, and neither look like they are sitting against your natural inframammary fold, something we would expect after an augmentation.

Regardless of why your implants are too high, I will give you assurance that vigorous massage, vitamin E, compressive bands, or pharmaceuticals like Singulair or Accolate will not be effective.  It is possible that given enough time they may drop some, but not to the extent that I think you would find pleasing.

Most likely you will need to have a revision surgery that will improve the position of your implants and address any other concommitant issues you may or may not be having (capsular contracture).  Revision surgery is more complicated and requires extensive experience on the part of the surgeon.  I would recommend that you consult highly regarded breast surgery specialists and get second opinions.  These doctors are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and are usually also members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Best of luck.

High implants low nipples

+4

Thanks for the photos. Your nipples look low because your implants are malpositioned. If they did not drop or settle into a lower position by 5-6 months, the only way to correct it is with surgery. The inframammary fold needs to be brought down to place the implants into a more favorable position and give you more lower pole fullness and have the nipples be at the most projecting part of the implants. Talk to your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Do Implants Look High/nipples Look Low?

+4

Based on these photos I would say that your implants do look a little high.   There are many possible explanations for this, including relatively large implants for a relatively small space.  It would be easier to offer an opinion if you can include your before pictures, and specifics of what was done (including the type of implant, size, incision used, etc).

If you're comfortable with them, though, then there's nothing that necessarily needs to be done.  If you are not comfortable and/or happy or you have any concerns you should, of course, speak with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Revision breast surgery

+3

In reviewing your photographs, I agree that your implants are positioned too high. This may have been caused my not performing enough dissection inferiorly to allow the implants to drop into position, or may have come about from trying to place too large an implant into a small space. In these causes, ultimately the implants tend to ride high after surgery. Talk with your surgeon about the possiblity of revision breast surgery and lowering the inferior portion of your previously dissected breast pocket to lower the implants.

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

High breast implants

+3

Your implants are too high and at this point not likely to change enough to be considered "normal" with conservative measures like massaging, vitamin E and Singulair.  I would speak with your surgeon about lowering them surgically and then use these measures after surgery to maintain their corrected placement.  The procedure is not difficult, but can be a bit tricky.  It is possible that the implants may end up too low so ask your surgeon what his experience has been.  If you're not comfortable with his answer get other opinions.  Good luck.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Implants are too high relative to the breasts

+3

Your implants are indeed quite high for the position and configuration of your breasts. This can be the result of many factors such as implants that are too large (broad), implants that were placed too high without enough lower dissection of the pocket, and even capsular contracture. Additional information including your preoperative photos and the initial postoperative photos would be helpful.

You should contact your surgeon and voice your concerns about the appearance. A second opinion may be helpful. A word of warning: your implants are not going to "drop".

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast augmentation revision

+3

Your implants are too high and not centered under the nipples. You will need additional surgery to correct this but without further information it is impossible to know which procedure is required. If the implants are under the muscle and the preoperative breast measurements were normal you only need to release the muscle. If the infra-mammary folds were high before surgery you will need to have them surgically lowered and the lower half of the breast tissue released to avoid a double bubble.

Given that you are 4.5 months out from your last surgery it is unlikely that your implant position could be corrected by wraps or bras alone.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast implants are too high

+3

The breast implants should be centered on the nipple within the breast with the point of projection at the nipple, and not above. Yes, your implants are too high and revision of the pocket may improve your result. After five months it is unlikely that your implants will drop on their own.

peterejohnsonmd

Your breast implant position is currently too high.

+3

The shape and position of your implants evolves significantly during the first 3 months after surgery. More shape and evolution change is needed with tighter breast tissues and with larger implants. For your breasts to have a more pleasing and natural shape the lower breast will need to stretch a lot which is unlikely to occur at this point. Conservative strategies of careful stretching and bandeau's may help but revisional surgery will be needed if you do not see changes over the next few months. Stay in touch with your surgeon for advice and options.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Abit high

+3

It looks to be high, but i woould want to see the pre ops.  You may have had a very tight lower pole of the breast.  This may change how the area can be streched to accomadate the implant.  If the lower pole is not respected you can end up with a double bubble which is much worse.  I you are newly operated then usse a band across the top to push and streach the lower pole.  If you are out from surgery aways, then it will not change.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD