Would You Do Implants for Someone Who Suffered from BDD and Removed Her Own Implants After Recovery from That Disorder?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Inappropriate Cosmetic Surgical Candidate

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately the scenario you are describing suggests that this patient is an inappropriate candidate for cosmetic surgery.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Breast Implants

+2

Plastic surgeons typically do not operate on patients with a diagnosis of BDD, but I do not presume to be an expert on the disorder or its treatment.

BBD Patient

+2

The answer is NO.  I would not operate on this patient.  I have to agree with the post below.  A "non surgeon" who would remove their own implants, has not recovered from BBD.

BDD patient

+2

Any non-surgeon who "removes their own implants" is not fully recovered from their BDD.  So, I would decline to operate on this person.

No

+2

I doubt that  you are recovered from BDD. It is long lasting, perhaps you are slightly better, but I would not take the risk. Why should I take your problem and make it mine.

Breast Augmentation for Patients with History of Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

+2

It depends. If the patient has “recovered” from the body dysmorphic disorder ( as documented by her psychiatrist)  and fits the usual criteria for being a good candidate for the procedure ( otherwise healthy, self-motivated,  possess realistic expectations, is psycho socially and financially stable…)  then I would definitely be willing to  proceed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Body Dismorphic Disorder

+1

BDD is complicated in regards to plastic surgery.  Taking out you own implants is extreme and dangerous beyond belief.  I don't believe you ever really recover completely from this disorder.  I would have to have a long talk with your psychiatrist to even  consider it.  Your life is more important than the size of your breasts.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

BDD patient

+1
No, NEVER. Removing one's own implants reflects a very severe disorder whIch warrants psychiatric treatment. Such a patient should not be considered a surgical candidate.