Would You Do Implants for Someone Who Suffered from BDD and Removed Her Own Implants After Recovery from That Disorder?

Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Breast Implants

+2

Plastic surgeons typically do not operate on patients with a diagnosis of BDD, but I do not presume to be an expert on the disorder or its treatment.

BBD Patient

+2

The answer is NO.  I would not operate on this patient.  I have to agree with the post below.  A "non surgeon" who would remove their own implants, has not recovered from BBD.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

BDD patient

+2

Any non-surgeon who "removes their own implants" is not fully recovered from their BDD.  So, I would decline to operate on this person.

Thomas Fiala, MD

No

+2

I doubt that  you are recovered from BDD. It is long lasting, perhaps you are slightly better, but I would not take the risk. Why should I take your problem and make it mine.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Augmentation for Patients with History of Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

+2

It depends. If the patient has “recovered” from the body dysmorphic disorder ( as documented by her psychiatrist)  and fits the usual criteria for being a good candidate for the procedure ( otherwise healthy, self-motivated,  possess realistic expectations, is psycho socially and financially stable…)  then I would definitely be willing to  proceed.

Body Dismorphic Disorder

+1

BDD is complicated in regards to plastic surgery.  Taking out you own implants is extreme and dangerous beyond belief.  I don't believe you ever really recover completely from this disorder.  I would have to have a long talk with your psychiatrist to even  consider it.  Your life is more important than the size of your breasts.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

BDD patient

+1
No, NEVER. Removing one's own implants reflects a very severe disorder whIch warrants psychiatric treatment. Such a patient should not be considered a surgical candidate.

Robert L. Kraft, MD