Facial Paralysis After Cheek, Jaw and Chin Implants

recently I have cheek, jaw, and chin implants, as soon as i get out of the procedure, my left size was paralyzed, it is been 20 days already and I cant still move my face,nothing not at all at the beginning i couldn't event blink my eye, now I verily blink it half way but it cry a lot all day. my dr. said that I have to be patience i trust him but I don't know what to do i am very worry that this could be permanent what do you think? Im sorry i cant provided pictures at this time

Facial nerve injury with facial implants

+4

I agree with Dr. Shureih, this is not the normal post operative course and is a devastating complication.  You should be coordinating your care very carefully with your PS.  You should see a neurologist to determine if the nerve injury is something likely to improve without surgery or if a surgical intervention is needed.  You also do need to protect the eye from dryness and injury to the cornea.  This may involve using ointments or even temporary taping of the eye lids shut at night to protect it.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Facial implants

+4

This is not normal.

Get a second opinion. Also see a neurologist for full work up of facial nerve integrity.

See an ophthal mologist for protecting the eye that can not close or blink, You need to do that ASAP.

The jaw implant, if it is at the ascending ramus and mendibular angle, it is possible to affect the main body of the facial nerve as you describe.  I would remive that implant ASAP.

Facial paralysis afte cosmetic procedure

+2

Hi fzumbador2,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems.  Facial paralysis can be a devastating problem.  Whatever injury occurred, it sounds like it is starting to improve since your eye is now beginning to close.  Your surgeon is right to recommend patience.  Any injury to the nerve will take weeks to months to return and any sort of intervention in this time period is likely to cause more harm than good.  You should be evaluated by an expert in facial paralysis, if possible.  In general, physicians wiht ear, nose, and throat training have the most experience dealing with these problems. 

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon