If I get Breast Implants and decide to breast feed my children, will I need to have a Breast Implant Revision afterward?

I've read a lot of reviews of women who have had children and breast fed and then got breast augmentation surgery. I have not had children yet. If I get BA before having children and later on have children and breast feed, etc will my breasts then need a second surgery?

Revision necessary after breast implants and breast feeding.

+2
Your question is a good one. Many young women, as you know, get breast implants before having had children. It is possible that the changes of the breast associated with pregnancy may necessitate a second surgery in the future. And I always inform my patients of that. However, there is no way to know for sure. And many women do not require additional procedures after having had children. A lot of that depends on what your breasts are like to begin with though. Someone who is very small breasted with good skin elasticity to begin with, and has a small skin envelope is less likely to have sagging after having implants and then children in the future. The converse of that is true for someone who may be larger breasted to begin with.
I recommend you have an in person examination and consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get more specific answers to your questions. I would be happy to see you myself if you'd like. (212) 688-5882.
Best of luck to you.

Breast augmentation and pregnancy changes

+1
The short answer to your question is not necessarily. There are many factors that change your breast during pregnancy and breast-feeding per se is not a contributing factor while pregnancy itself is. Having said that, depending on the starting point relationship of your breast tissue compared to the implants likely determine changes of your breast tissue if any during pregnancy. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon and ASAPS member with expertise in breast augmentation to discuss your options.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast aug

+1

Your body will go through a lot of changes during pregnancy and after child birth and your breast will be part of this. You will have larger breast and skin laxity might be present, so in my opinion I would suggest to have the procedure six months after birth.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Maybe

+1
Having children and nursing causes breasts to change, an implant is not the deciding factor. It does not mean that you will need further surgery. Time has shown us that is you are concerned about the appearance  of  your breasts, you may have more than one surgery done over your life time.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

+1
Good question to ask. And the answer is maybe. We know some changes will happen to your breasts with pregnancy, but we can't know specifically what will happen to you. The smaller your natural breasts are before augmentation, the smaller the changes are likely to be and the less likely you will need any revisions.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast feeding after breast augmentation

+1
It is not necessary to get a second breast surgery after pregnancy and breast feeding following breast augmentation however that depends on the changes that your breasts undergo during these hormonal and weight changes. It is hard to predict.  Most breasts return to their pre pregnancy shapes and sizes but some women require some revisions. 
Discuss the timing of your surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you make the right choice for you. 

All the best ...

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Wait until we were done having children before having breast augmentation..

+1
Thank you for your question.  The reason we suggest that you finish having children before breast augmentation is that breast feeding causes significant changes in breast size and shape.  Although some women have children, nurse and do not have smaller sagging breasts, many if not most women do.  If you choose to have breast augmentation and nurse multiple children you may well need a breast lift and a revision augmentation later.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Surgery Prior to Pregnancy

+1
It is impossible to predict if you'll need a breast revision after pregnancy.  Your breast volume and shape can change with pregnancy and weight gain.  Some women do really well after pregnancy and don't require any sort of revision.  If you plan on having children soon, you may want to wait until after the pregnancy.

Eugene Kim, MD

Breast feeding and implants

+1
Pregnancy, weight gain and loss and breastfeeding can certainly affect the shape of your breasts.  Some patients do fine and others want revision, going up or down in size as needed or require breast lifts. There are no generalizations, only specific cases.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Pregnancy and implants

+1
Your breast shape and size after pregnancy can be quite variable.  In general I would say most patients look fine and actually have a more natural shape as the skin is expanded a bit more than the implant can do alone.  There are some women who breast feed for years and some whose breasts become EE size but those are generally not the norm.  Probably 50% of the augmentations I do are in younger patients like yourself.  If you want  to do surgery now then I would go for it.  Good luck

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS