Round Implants Haven't Dropped After 7 Months

I had a breast augmentation 7 months ago (round implants, 275 cc, filled with responsive gel, dual plane). I went from an A to a full B cup. From the very beginning the implants looked too high and full in the upper pole. My surgeon said that this situation would improve after 5-6 months. Now 7 months have passed and nothing has changed. The breasts are still full in the upper pole, they have almost no projection and the nipples point slightly downwards. What can be done to solve the problem?

Check inframammary fold distance for implants that look to full/high

Without a photo it is difficult to give you a precise answer but it is very important on evaluating the position of the implant that you have an adequate distance from the base of the areola to the inframammary fold. This usually measures out between 5.0cm and 7.0cm based on how large the breast is to begin with. If that distance is short, then it may explain the excess superior fill and if that is the case then the prosthesis would need to be lowered on both sides. Generally a dual plane augmentation gives a superior rotation of the nipple areola so that it is no longer downward projecting. If the implants need to be placed in a more inferior position then this would also help nipple direction somewhat, otherwise you may need a small crescent mastopexy.

Conservative measures or surgical correction

Try simple measures first such as bandeau and manually pushing the implant down. Surgical options include revising and creating more pocket in the lower pole or lifting the nipple areola complex by breast lift if there is sagging of breast.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation -getting it right the first time

For optimal results after breast augmentation we would like to have right-left symmetry, the nipples forming an equilateral triangle with the notch on the upper edge of the breast bone and both the implants and breast tissue centered under the nipple. It seems your implants are centered above the level of the nipples. Sometimes this resolves on its own with time and gravity. 7 months is certainly enough time for this to happen. The only option is revision surgery to adjust the position of the implant pocket and/or release some of the chest muscle that may be shifting the implants out of optimal position. There is the remote possibility that the implants and breast tissue are in the correct position but the nipples are not in which case you will need a skin procedure rather than adjustment of the pockets/muscle.

Aaron Stone, MD

Sounds like the lower poles of your breast implants need to be revised. At this point, 7 months later, this will not change without surgery. Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Breast implants should look good right after surgery.

I think it is a myth that  breast implants have to "drop". Unfortunately, you need the implant pockets made lower with a revision. This can be done anytime.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant position

If your implants are too high and the nipples are pointing downward, you may want a revision to adjust the lower pole.  Perhaps the muscle wasn't released enough?

Round implants haven't dropped after 7 months?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. At 7 months, it is likely that a surgical revision will be necessary to open the pocket and bring plant down.  Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast augmentation

by 7 months, the changes in your breast will now be minor. I would suggest you return to your surgeon to discuss your options. or get a second opinion if not happy with what the answer is.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Your implants will not be going south!  You will likely require a revision, even a breast lift.  It is possible that you needed a lift all along, and your plastic surgeon was trying to avoid the additional scars.  I recommend seeing him/her and review your options.  Good luck.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Incomplete muscle division can cause high riding implants

At 6-7 months out form a dual-plane breast aug, I would guess that your elevated implant position is fixed and stable- its likely that incomplete inferior muscle division is the cause for implant malposition. You'll likely need a revision.