Would I save the hassle to have dental implant instead of a regular bridge?

How Much More Do Implants Cost Than Dental Bridges? Would implants last longer than dental bridge? Would I save money in the long run? and hassle in the long run to have implants now instead?

Dental implants vs Bridge

+3

The overall cost of these two options is runnning in approximately similar numbers. The success and long-term prognosis depends on the amount of missing teeth- single or multiple. The success rate of 3 unit bridge on the teeth that replaces single missing tooth or single implant instead is close. But in this situation other factors come into consideration: preparing the enamel of adjacent teeth, more complicated hygiene, risk of failures, possible remakes of the bridge and etc. In these situations placement of single implant always will be a first choice. When multiple teeth are missing the success rate of multiple implants or bridge on multiple implants always will be dominating and giving better prognosis over long bridge on the teeth. In long run the patient saves in the case choosing implant treatment over bridge on the teeth.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Implant vs Bridge

+3

The cost of the implant and bridge are going to be about the same.  The biggest factor in your decision should be what is the status of the adjacent teeth.  If they have been restored then a bridge makes perfect sense since the integrity of the tooth has been compromised already.  If the teeth are virgin teeth, than an implant makes sense so that you don't have to invlove the perfectly healthy adjacent teeth in restoring the lost tooth.  Both restorations will last a very long time if they are done clinically well and cared for properly.  If timing is an issue, the bridge is completed in 2 weeks, the implant is going to be a 4 -6 month treatment. 

Sean Anderson, DDS
San Ramon Cosmetic Dentist

Implants is better that bridge

+2

If you decide to restore your missing tooth with an implnat you will make much better decision, and that's why:

1. By placing an implant you will save adjacent teeth.

2. Implnat fixture itself supports the bone and and slows down naturaly occuring bone resorption, vs if you choose the bridge edentulous space is going to resorb much faster.

3. Implant restoration feels like a natural tooth.

4. You will be able easily to clean around the implant crown, vs. it is difficult to clean around the bridge ( that is why the most common reason for bridge failuire is secondary caries)

5. Implants do not get caries.

6. Longevity of the implant  restoration is much better that a bridge.

Those are the main advantages of implant restorations and I hope you will choose this type of treatment because it is just simply the best.

Zina Kaleinikova, DDS, MS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Implants can be wonderful

+2

As a general rule, you have a far greater chance of going to your grave with an implant than a bridge.  Typical life span of a bridge is 7-10 years.  A well done one will likely last longer.  Your oral hygiene is probably the greatest factor in how long it will last.  But because an implant is titanium and a bridge is built on teeth, the implant will never decay, whereas the teeth under the bridge can.  When possible, I almost always recommend an implant over a bridge.

Best Wishes!

John Whittemore, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Implants are a bigger hassle, but last longer

+2

In GENERAL, a three tooth bridge will cost about the same as a single tooth bridge and the implant is a bit more of a hassle.  Implants take up to 6 months to complete, while a bridge is usually 2-3 weeks.

Since implants do not get tooth decay, they are among the longest lasting procedures in dentistry.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants vs. Conventional Bridge

+2

Actually the price of a 3-unit dental bridge is very similar to the price for a single dental implant.   The greatest benefit of a dental implant is that you are not shaving down adjacent healthy teeth to use them for support under the bridge.   In the long run, most of the time the implant should outlast a dental bridge.  I would say it’s definitely worth getting dental implants.

The only time I would recommend that my patient have a bridge is if the adjacent teeth require to be crowned.  That may be due to large failing fillings or maybe they already have an old crown.  In that case, since the adjacent teeth already need crowns it’s easier to just connect them and make a bridge.

Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Implant or Bridge?

+1

It's my belief that an IMPLANT TOOTH WILL OUTLAST A BRIDGE.  There are still situations where a bridge may be the best choice.....if the teeth on either side of the empty space already have fillings or are in need of repair, and the supporting bone is really good, then a bridge is a valid consideration. However, with the success and long-term statistical predictability of implants they would be my first choice. Also if any part of a bridge fails, the entire bridge fails and it would need to be redone. As far as the cost difference between the 2 they are usually about the same.

Ted Murray, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Cosmetic Dentistry

+1

Your questions are excellent.  I will answer them one at a time:

1) How Much More Do Implants Cost Than Dental Bridges?  If you are replacing one tooth with an implant the cost of the implant and the crown will be a little more than that of a 3 tooth fixed bridge.  I would be sure that a custom abutment is used when the crown is done. There are many functional and esthetic advantages to these and they are worth the slightly additional fee.

2)  Would implants last longer than dental bridge?  Tough question to answer as many bridges have lasted a long time.  If the implant is correctly placed in the correct alignment, it should give you excellent service and hopefully enhance the longevity of the adjacent teeth which would have had to be ground down for crowns.  This being said, if the adjacent teeth already have crowns, then this is not an advantage. On the other hand having an implant takes the additional load off the teeth that would support the missing teeth. So having an implant may help you keep your teeth longer.

3)  Would I save money in the long run? and hassle in the long run to have implants now instead?  In the long run, yes, you would probably save money.  Remember that how well you take care of your mouth is a big determinate in how long  your teeth and implants will last.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Why a bridge over a dental implant

+1

The advantage of being able to floss your own teeth without anything joined together is an advantage.  No excess force load on the adjacent teeth either with an implant.  Dental implants will allow you to be conservative to the adjacent teeth also as they do not have to be touched. 

David S. Frey, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist