Do Implants Complicate Breast Biopsy Surgery?

I need to have a lump biopsied, but I have implants. Do implants complicate the surgery? If my doctor decides to remove the lump what is the likelihood I'll need to have my implants removed as well?

Implants and biopsy

+2

The implants do not complicate the surgery but the surgery does put the implant at a risk of rupture.  Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast biopsy with implants

+1

I know a breast lump can be scary, but it must be investigated as first priority.  The placement of your implant (above or below the muscle) will play a role regarding implant involvement.  As well as the depth of the lump.  A breast surgeon that is familiar with implants will know what caution to use.  Good luck.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Breast biopsy after breast augmentation

+1

In general, if the implant is placed behind the muscle, the biopsy will be easier to perform since the chest muscle will protect most of the implant.  However, each case is individual.

Please make sure if a needle biopsy is planned, you choose a radiology center which has experience working with patients with breast implants.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast Biopsy and Implants

+1

Most important is having the biopsy.  When the mass is located in your breast may make biopsy more difficult but  in my experienced  with either open biopsy or needle aspiration, the implant can be protected and not damaged.  As you your question regarding removal of your implants, that is a question that would be determined by the results of your biopsy and numerous other factors. If you like ask your plastic surgeon to review the mammogram with the radiologist or surgeon performing the biopsy.

Richard Linderman, MD

Breast Biopsy and Breast Implants

+1

There is a risk that breast implants may rupture during a breast biopsy, but their actual presence should not make  the biopsy more difficult.  It is important for your surgeon to be aware of the presence of the implants and to take precautions to avoid rupturing them.  Antibiotics should also be prescribed after the surgery to protect the implants from getting infected.  Although these complications can happen, they are not common.  But to be safe, a plastic surgeon should be consulted and be on standby for these possibilities.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Beast implants and biopsy

+1

Breast implants should not have a concerning impact on performing open biopsies, providing/preferably, if they are perfoemed by a competent plastic surgeon. Of course a lot of factors should be considered. The location of suspicious area for biobsy, its location related to the implant, whether implants are above ot below the muscles are few of them . Streotactic/needle biopsies need more experties, since there are performed when patients are resting on their bellies. Ask your surgeon/radiologist if they they ever have punctuerd any implants. Then you can porceed with peace of mind. You do not need to give up your implants    

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Biopsy with implants

+1

Implants may affect how the biopsy is done.  It would probably be best if the plastic surgeon who did the implants discusses your case with the surgeon doing the biopsy.  It depends on where the implants are placed (above or below the muscle) as well as where the mass to be biopsied is located.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Biopsies in Women with Breast Implants

+1

While the implant lies below most of the breast tissue, there is always the risk that it may become damaged during any biopsy or fine needle procedure. Fortunately this is very uncommon due the large number of women who have breast implants and the famliarity of general surgeons and radiologists working around them. The implant is also partially protected by the thin capsule that surrounds it which is an obvious layer that can almost always be seen or felt during an open biopsy procedure. Given the expertise of breast cancer surgeons in performing this procedure in women who have implants, the risk is very low and you should feel comfortable that an implant problem is not likely to ensue.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast biopsies need to be done expertly in women with implants.

+1

Breast implants can make having a breast biopsy more complicated. However, careful and expert approaches rarely result in any damage to the implants. Most experience general surgeons and radiologists involved with these procedures are very familiar with managing patients with implants. Correspondence between the PS and the biopsy surgeon is usually all that is needed. You should not let your fear of having damage to your implants get in the way of a diagnostic test.

Good luck

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Biopsy with Implants In Place

+1

The risk to your implants at the time of a biopsy depends upon how close the lump is to the implant.  A general surgeon that speacializes in breast is likely to be quite familiar with this setting and able to advise you of risk.  If the implant is injured (an uncommon event) you and your plastic surgeon can coordinate with the general surgeon about your wisest options.

Mary Lee Peters, MD