Should I have implants completely removed or can I have them replaced with smaller ones? (Photos)

MRSA 2 yrs ago/replace impl. 3-6 mths aftr same breast hardened/cap constrict he said. 6 mths ago same breast bcame harder/veins bulging/a sore -bottom of breast. Mamo 10/2013 showed area of concern behind impl-cld not do further diagn tests bcuz of sore+hardness. last 3 days areaOfpain spread, warm2touch, very red, veins visible, strong contractions+very painful if anything touches area. frm pics he thinks my breast tiss 2 thin+becuz of caps constric-cannot w/stand weight of hardened implt

Breast infection and implants

+2
I believe you should move quickly to have your implant removed. There appears to be a chronic infection which needs to clear. The implants appear to be on top of the muscle as well. I would remove them, clean up all infection and capsule I find, take cultures. I would treat with antibiotics for a week or so depending on cultures. Once everything has cleared up and your breasts are soft and nontender, I would consider another augmentation. Obviously I have not examined you,so you should see you plastic surgeon and get on the road to recovery

Eric Weiss MD

Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Should I have implants completely removed or can I have them replaced with smaller ones?

+1
Safety first.  You should strongly consider removing your implants and working on what is causing this infection. After it is cleared up you should be able to put implants in again.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hard implants with thin tissue

+1
Chronic infections in the setting of thin tissues is a recipe for problems. Replacing implants in that scenario is likely to lead to further issues: recurrent infection, implant extrusion, recurrent capsular contracture. In some cases, it is better to remove the implants and the capsules and let everything heal. Soft tissue augmentation in the future with fat transfer may be an option. Either way, removal is the safe route in such a situation.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1
PLEASE seek immediate diagnostic help!!!! You need to rule out an inflammatory cancer of the breasts. This is a 911... 

Breast infection

+1
Removing the implants might be something to consider, but first and foremost, you need to get in to see your surgeon.  If you have an infection, the likelihood is that it will worsen until you take steps to correct it.  It sounds like this needs immediate attention.
Good Luck,
Douglas Hargrave, MD

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon