What to Do if Implants Break and No Money?

I made alot of money age 32 when I got my Silicone implants. I have had No Problems at all. From what I've read, they will eventually break. I am now struggling on S.S.Disability and cannot forsee EVER having any money for replacing the implants down the road, or to even havethem taken out. What will I do??

Implant Rupture in Silicone Implants

+1

If there is a concern of silicone implant rupture, they can be removed or an MRI can be performed to confirm rupture. 

Breast implants are fairly durable

+1

Thank you for the question.  You have several options.  The good news is that breast implants are durable and carry a lifetime warranty against defects.  You could also have them removed early if you are concerned and this can be done fairly easily in the surgeons office under local anesthesia.  The cost of doing so is relatively low. 

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/breast-enhancement.cfm

Breast implant rupture

+1

There are existing breast implant warranties that may cover the partial cost of revision or replacement.  You can call the breast implant manufacturer and review your warranty guidelines. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/breasts/63/breast-revision-surgery.aspx

When breast implants rupture?

+1

Thanks for sharing your concerns. Be aware that current breast implants have a warranty that covers rupture in the future. Check with your PS to see what kind of warranty you have. Good luck - Dr. Aldo.

If Implants Are Doing Well, No Indication For Removal

+1

It is good to hear that your implants have served you well so far.  If they are not causing you a problem, there is no reason to remove them as a preventive measure.  Many patients go for many years without problems  I would recommend that you focus your energy on adjusting to your recent disability.  If an issue comes up in the future, you can address it at that time.  Best of luck.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Replacement of ruptured implants

+1

I certainly would not live in fear that your implant may rupture in the future.   It is always a possibility that an implant can rupture.  The current reported rupture rate for silicone gel implants is 1.1 % for the first 10 years.  I have patients who have had implants in for greater than 35 years with no problems and others that rupture before 10 years.  There are warranties available on both Mentor and Allergan implants that will provide money for replacement and a new implant if the rupture is within the 10 year period.  After 10 years they will provide you with a new implant for life.  Putting a little money away for a possible replacement may not be a bad idea.   Especially if it affords you a little peace of mind.   

Affording implant replacement surgery in the future

+1

Most women who get breast implants are young, so they will almost certainly require additional surgeries in their lifetime. If the implants were to break or rupture within, you may be eligible for replacement implants and even some cash from the implant company. This depends on your particular implant company, but both major companies offer lifetime warranties on gel implants. Make sure you have registered your implants with the company for this warranty. You may be "lucky" and never have a problem with your implants and never need another surgery. I agree with my colleague that you may want to start putting away small amounts of money each money in a "breast implant fund" to help finance any future surgery.

Implant Guarantee

+1

The implant companies have a lifetime warrantee which includes free replacement of your ruptured implant(s) and a certain amount of money towards your sugical/anesthesia fee(about $1700).  Preop, the companies offer even more advanced warrantees for a fee.  But don't be so worried because the newer implants are a bit stronger than the old ones and may not rupture.  Many patients have had the old implants for 40 years without rupture.  Hope this helps..

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Need to Save for Possible Surgery Down the Line.

+1

Thank you for the thoughtful question.

I tell all my patients who are thinking about  breast augmentation surgery to remember that further surgery down the line should be considered a certainty.

Therefore, it is best to do these procedures when you are financially stable and able to cope with additional expenses that may arise in the short or long term.

At this point, I would suggest that you establish a “fund” where you gradually put away money that can be used in the event that further surgery becomes necessary. Hopefully, you will not need to utilize this fund for many years.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm