Have 3 Implants, Can I Get Braces And/or Retainers?

I have 3 implants, the 2 upper cuspids and the 1st right upper bicuspid. I'm noticing that my 2 front tooth are shifting forward. Can I get a retainer to shift them back, or braces? Anything to correct this? I have gone thru an extreme ordeal over these implants for the past 3 years due to an extraction gone wrong so really appreciate any help to put an end to this.

Braces with implants

+3

If you noticed that your front teeth are shifting you definitely can take care of that problem with orthodontic. The fact that you have implants should not complicate your treatment, it actually can be used in favor, taking in to consideration that your implants were placed prior the shifting of teeth took place and back then they were properly placed. My recommendation would be to find a good restorative specialist - Prosthodontist, have a consultation about your teeth and get few treatment solutions. Your Prosthodontist will refer you to the orthodontist for a treatment you you will choose to do that. Good luck!

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Implants won't move with braces

+2

Implants work very well as anchors when doing orthodontics, but won't move themselves.  If your misalignment is minor, just about any method will help (brackets, wires, retainers or Invisalign) but it may be more complicated due to your history of challenges with your extraction.

Your dentist should know how to handle this best.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

How braces work with integrated implants

+2

Dental treatment sometimes can go long and less predictable ways than we expect. And it can be very disturbing to the patient. But once you are done with the treatment you should feel satisfied and relieved. There are multiple factors can affect the position of the upper anterior teeth and the occlusal load and their periodontal condition would be the first ones. The implant once integrated in the bone and restored would not be moving at all. And in this case anterior teeth can be moved to their original position with braces that at this point in time is not going to affect the implants. You need to have a consult with orthodontist and prosthodontist who can evaluate your current situation and compose the treatment plan that is optimal to you.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontic Treatment with Implants

+2

Moving a tooth with braces or Invisalign depends upon teeth having healthy periodontic ligaments between the root of the tooth and the surrounding bone. Implants lack ligaments and cannot be moved. That doesn't mean you can't benefit from treatment however. In fact, your implants will serve as perfect anchors while your front teeth are moved back in position!

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Moving teeth when implants are present

+2

Sorry that you an unpleasant experience!  You can move natural teeth with any orthodontic appliance (braces, retainers, Invisalign) but implants do not move at all.  So you should ask an othodontist what the optimum approach is in your case.  Depending on the situation it may be beneficial to consider correcting the bite as sometimes this may help keep the front teeth straight. 

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Implants, Braces

+2

Thank you for your question and I am sorry you endured this ordeal.... Definitely you can correct the alignenment of your teeth with braces as long as an orthodontist deems enough space is available. Keep in mind, the implants can't be moved  with braces like natural teeth do. I hope i have answered your question and feel free to ask to clarify more.

Edgard El Chaar, DDS.

Edgard El Chaar, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontics in combination with implants.

+2

Dental implants are fixed into bone and are as such not movable.  Teeth as we know can be readily moved.  So to answer your question a retainer or even Invisalign braces can be used to re-align the upper teeth, keeping in mind that the implanted teeth will not move. 

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Braces and implants

+2

Yes you can have braces. Your implant crowns will serve as good anchors to bring back the upper front teeth into alignment by using brackets and wires. Once the teeth are in the correct position, you can then use a retainer.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Front teeth alignment

+1

You can fix your problem with braces.

Having implant is not an obstacle to your orthodontic treatment.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Ortho after implants placed

+1

Implants, unlike natural teeth can not be moved orthodontically. This does not mean you can't get treatment, just that you need to work around these teeth and accept them in their current position

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist