Implants Look Big in the Upper Pole but Very Small in the Lower Pole. Will the Implant Shift Towards the Bottom?

My sister got a 375 silicone implant and looked small but after 4 months they looked a lot bigger and I wanted that same size. I was an A before and she was a small B, so my surgeon said if I want to look like her go bigger-425 saline. My implants are big up top but not filled out on the bottom. I'm only 6 days out and I went under the muscle. I heardonce they drop and fluff they r a lot bigger looking because the muscle relaxes and isn't flattening the implant anymore. True? want to be a small D

Breast Implants Fall And Shift To Bottom After 8-12 Weeks

+1

Thank you for your question. At 6 days after a sub-muscular breast augmentation the breast implants always look to high with too much volume above the nipple and in the upper pole.

It can take 8-12 weeks for the sub-muscular breast implants to fall into the lower pole of the breast and assume their final shape. 6 days is simply too early to worry about this.

Be sure to discuss you concerns with your plastic surgeon and ask the surgeon if breast displacement exercises will help speed the final positioning of your implants.

Swelling at Top of Breasts

+1

At 6 days after surgery, you most likely still have a lot of swelling, so your breasts will look fuller at the superior aspect, or the top of your breasts. You are right in that you will see greater fullness of the inferior pole as the muscle relaxes and the swelling resolves. Be patient, and don't hesitate to contact your doctor if you have concerns.

Wandra K. Miles, MD

Implants too high

+1

It will take several weeks for your implants to settle.  Massage and somtimes abreast band is needed.  Discuss with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Implants after 6 days

+1

At 6 days implants are often ride high and it takes a few months for the me to settle and be fuller in the lower pocket.

Implants initially sit high after surgery

+1

It is not unusual for implants to appear to be sitting high when placed under the muscle.  Over time as the muscle fibres relax and stretch, your implants will settle down.  I recommend daily massage to my patients to help speed this process up.  It usually takes a few weeks, sometimes up to 3-4 months.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Time and gravity will definitely affect your result!

+1

By your description, your surgeon has given you good advice. And surgical softening, settling, and dropping will indeed occur over the next weeks to months. Guaranteed, since gravity pretty much cannot be turned off for anyone, and 97% of patients will see their scars mature, soften, and stretch as 6-12 months go by.

Your breast skin and muscles will indeed stretch as well, and your implants will drop, soften, and settle with somewhat more protrusion, and without the high, tight, Baywatch coconut look you have now. How much and how long is as individual as each patient, but your doctor and follow-up visits are what can assist and modify that process, often by use of elastic bandeaus and/or proper brassiere recommendations.

If you were an A-cup before surgery, had 425cc implants, and want to be a small D, you may be a bit disappointed, as I would estimate this would add just under two cup sizes to whatever you started with. But perhaps not, since you didn't include your height, weight, or pre-op breast appearance, only an extremely subjective cup size that is different for each bra manufacturer.

So hang in there; things will continue to look better over time! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon