Which Seems like a Better, Proportionate Fit 400 or 304, I'm 53, 112lbs?

I'm 53, 112lbs, slim and tan. My doctor gave me the choice or 400cc or 304...which will fit my frame better for a more natural look. I know implants are not considered bra size. I get you pick the size best fit for you. My question is ive known the breast size of FULL/BIG C is what i want. What will a 400cc get me? what will a 304 get me??

Breast implant sizes

+2
Patients often struggle when it comes to selecting the best implant size for them. Every patient is unique, and has a particular set of desires and expectations. I always make a point of telling my patients that I cannot guarantee what theri post op cup size will be. Typically a full cup size is about 120-150cc, so the difference between a 304cc implant and a 400cc implant is about two thirds of a cup size. Most thin patients can expect to be a C cup with a 304cc implant, and a D cup with a 400cc implant. Often it can be helpful to try different size implants on under your clothes. Unfortunately, there is no perfect system when it comes to determining the perfect implant size.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

This question is hard to answer without knowing where you started in terms of size or seeing a picture.   I am guessing that you will get roughly 2 cup size changes with the 304 and close to 2.5 cup size changes with 400. 

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing breast implants with cc's

+1

This is a difficult question to answer, at least with a simple response. The basic answers are here but to try to put it in one answer requires thinking of fitting something like a dress or a foot in a shoe. By itself a "size 8" dress or a "size 8" shoe doesn't mean much and cc's of volume are a lot like "size 8". In bra cup sizes it's even more relative because a "C cup" is one thing in a 32 and something different in a 34, 36, or 38 size chest. If the implant was fitting into a bone in a hip, the orthopedic surgeon wouldn't give the patient any choice for the size of the implant. It's done by measurements. 

Breast implants are fitted by measurements but there is more leeway for choices with different sizes and shapes of what are effectively pillows put behind the breast to fill them out. For standard round breast implants, the key measurement is the width of the breast, upright, with arms down. This determines the width of the implant that will fit and look natural. In a round implant, this also determines the height of the implant although the lower half (pole) of the breast sometimes has to be adjusted to accommodate it. The choice is in forward profiles (the third dimension of volume) with the lowest profile resulting in a gain of about a cup size relative to the size the breast started at. The highest profile still fitted for the width should result in about a two cup size increase. The number of cc's is determined by looking up the correct width for the implant and then looking at the forward profile choice. The rest is getting the implant positioned properly under the pectoralis muscle (and filling it properly if it's saline-filled) and then getting it healed there. The result should look natural because it fits and the patient knows what the resulting size increase should be. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1

It's hard to say without any photos but you said that you are 5'3" and 112#. That's petite. You also said that you want a more natural look.

I can say this.  With a petite frame, if you get the 400cc you will most likely have an augmented look.

If you are unsure, go back to your plastic surgeon's office to get re-sized.

Best of Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

It depends on what you start off with

+1

The cup size that each of the breast implants you mention will give you after surgery depends on what cup size you start off with.  A more important question is which implant will give you the look that you want?  I would recommend trying on those implants in your plastic surgeons office under a sports bra or a tight shirt and get an idea of which one you like best.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Implant choices

+1

The best way to "size you up" is by examining you in person, because implants look different for different individuals.  If you are not sure, try the baggy test with a loose bra and then a tight t-shirt over the volume you filled the bag.

Increased risks of complications from breast augmentation

+1

While, we would all want you to get the result you want from augmentation, no one can tell you what implant to use on line.  What I can tell you though, and this comes from years of experience, is that the older you get and the thinner you are (53 y.o. and slim and tan), the higher the risks will be from bigger implants especially with them not staying in the location where they were put.  Please be careful and try to be happy with the smaller implants as they will likely cause less complications.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants come in a variety of sizes

+1

Both Mentor and Allergan make numerous sizes, shapes and styles of both saline and silicone implants. I find it odd that your surgeon gave you only two options when there are a variety of sizes between the two that you listed. Allergan makes silicone moderate profile implant sizes 304, 339, 371 and 392 cc's. Based on your measurements, I suspect that one of these sizes would give you a full C cup. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

What implant size to choose?

+1

An implant adds volume to the volume of breast tissue that you already have. There is no way of knowing what cup size a given implant will give you, not knowing what size you are now, the thickness of your tissue, your anatomy, what bra manufacturer you are referring to (as they differ).  The best sizing option is to try implant sizers in a stretch bra and consult with your surgeon. You can bring photos with you to show your surgeon what breast sizes and contour (how natural or unnatural a shape, for example) appeal to you.  You may or may not be able to achieve exactly the size you want depending on the tightness of your skin and other aspects of your anatomy.  A large implant in a tight-skinned person may look very unnatural and obvious, and unless that is the look you are hoping for, you may need to be willing to compromise depending on your anatomy.  Your surgeon should be able to discuss this with you in detail.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Leave ultimate implant size decision to your surgeon

+1

You need to communicate with your surgeon (is he/she a plastic surgeon?) exactly what it is that you desire - the look, shape, "naturalness", etc. and then leave the final decision up to him/her. Bringing in several realistic photos of looks that you like can be helpful. Trying to obtain advice as regards implant size through internet communication is not the way to go for many reasons.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD