Augmentation and Lift 4 Years Ago. Will Breasts Sag if I Remove Implants?

I Have Had my Implants Aprox 4 Years I Got 390cc with a Lift Done I Want Them Removed Will I Still Sag Even with the Lift I Had?

Removing implants and the effects on the breast.

+2

The removal of your implants will definitely "deflate" your breasts. Whether or not you perceive this as being saggy is uncertain. The breast skin is filled out with the implants. With removal, some contraction of this skin will occur, but you may find that you simply have too much skin to maintain a perky shape. Many women find that an further removal of skin is necessary after the implants are removed. However, I would recommend staging these operations to allow for maximal skin contraction to occur and to minimize corrective surgery.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lifts, removing implants, and sagging

+2

I strongly disagree with the answers I see given at this point. 

It has nothing to do with skin tone, previous lift, implant size, length of time implant in, above or below the muscle, or pictures. 

Implants do not lift the breast and the breast does not sag when they are removed. Implants only provide pillow volume and forward projection. They can give the appearance of a lift but it's an illusion. If they are removed the breast may look saggy but it's also an illusion. Sag (ptosis) is determined by the position of the nipple relative to the inframammary crease and this is not changed by placing an implant unless the nipple-areola is moved as in a lift or the inframammary crease is lowered as is sometimes done when placing the implant. With simple implant removal, neither the nipple-areola or crease are moved. 

The only thing I would agree with is that if you needed a lift at the time of the augmentation, your breasts have sagged to some degree and they can continue to sag as time goes on. The implant also doesn't keep the breast up or make it sag but time and other changes can. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to a well-trained and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and get good advice.

Depends on your residual breast tissue

+1

Following implant removal, sagging might occur if the size of implants are vastly larger than your normal breasts, if you have lost weight, if you had children, amount of breast tissue you have, your skin elasticity, and aging. 

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Lift after removing implants

+1

Everybody will sag after removing implants.  Either they sag or they will look deflated (which some patients describe as sagging).  Your previous lift will help not sag too much but it will need to be relifted and retightened and you'll need your previous operative report.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Removed breast implants may require a lift .

+1

Photos will help a lot in this situation.  You first have to see what the breast looks like without the impant then decide if you need another lift.  Your breasts certainly will look deflated but on some patients, after the lift they look great.

Implant Removal May Not Require Additional Surgery

+1

You may not have saggy breasts from implant removal.  The removal of your implants will result in less weight on the skin, and the skin may adjust fine.  Your breast may look a bit empty or "deflated", however.  I usually advise waiting at least 6 months after implant removal to see what you really need or want.  Your doctor can give you specific recommendations after you are examined.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Brest implant explantation after a lift

+1

Without seeing photos or performing an exam  it is difficult to tell whether your breasts will sag after implant removal. Some women's breasts hold up surprisingly well after explantation, but it is hard to predict.

Breast Implant Explantation

+1

The fact that you needed a lift to begin with means that your skin has lost it's elasticity.

The implants has been there for 4 years. Most probably you will sag after the removal of the implants.

So you may need another lift, and will end up with much smaller breast size.

Droopiness after breast implants are removed

+1

You never really know how much droopiness there will be until they are removed. This is because factors such as weight change, elasticity of your breast skin, size of implant. If you have them taken out, give yourself at least 6 months to recover and determine how much droopiness remains before you decide whether or not to have another lift 

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon