I Had Implants Done 27 Years Ago, Not Sure if They Are Saline or Silicone. How Can I Tell?

Is there any way to tell if I have silicone or saline implants?

Get your records to be sure

+1

There only two ways to know what you have had done in the past:  Obtain your records from the surgeon's office where you had them put in.  The type of implant will be listed in your file.  Short of being able to do that the only other way is to have a plastic surgeon remove them.  When the surgery is over he or she can tell you what they found.  

Twenty seven years ago the implants weren't made like they are today.  Very few people drive twenty seven year old cars.  I highly recommend getting these exchanged for newer implants soon.

27 year old implants, saline or gel?

+1

Very few of us used saline implants 27 years ago, and it is unlikely that the the saline would have lasted much over 20. We bet you have gels, and we bet they have intracapsular ruptures, and perhaps extracapsular if you had the implants 'popped' to soften the implants, also common 27 years ago. Probably time for implant replacement.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

It really doesn't matter at this point

+1

Altho it is good to know whether these are saline or silicone, it really doesn't matter.  In all liklihood they are silicone as the saline would have ruptured and deflated.  I would certainly seek a plastic surgery consultation to have the implants changed since the FDA recommends they be changed every 10-15 years.  Unless there are significant medical reasons why it shouldn't be done I would recommend an exchange regardless of what they are.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Telling Saline from Silicone Implants

+1

It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep copies of important medical records such as chest Xrays, mammograms, EKG's and other lab tests. This applies in spades to breast implants.Every woman should be given a card with the breast implant serial numbers and specs. These cards come in every breast implant box and are meant to be placed in the medical record (which is supposed to be kept for 10 years in Tennessee) and given to you.

It sounds as if this did not happen in your case or you lost the card.

You need to see a Plastic surgeon. On examination, the difference may be quite obvious. If it is not a mammogram would easily differentiate between saline and mammogram but a MRI would give you a lot more information about the implants and your breast health.