Dental Implant Vs Braces

Hi Doctors, I am 28 years old. I have one missing molar on my lower jaw for 8 years. The teeth have shifted and I appear as angle. One dentist told me I still can get a mini implant, but one of teeth maybe cut off in order to make the space bigger. I would like to know what is better option for me. Implant or braces? Thank you for your time.

Dental implants, braces, bite problems

I totally agree the with responses below.  Uprighting the tipped molar is usually an excellent option that will help the longevity of the molar and dental implant that can be placed for the missing tooth. In fact, many orthodontist can probably upright the molar in minimal time without full braces.  Sometimes only brackets are needed on 4-6 teeth.

Houston Dentist

Implants or braces

NEVER EVER put a mini-implant in a missing molar site. Molars are the widest teeth in the mouth for a reason: molars are in the back because that is where the largest forces of the bite are. Putting a thin and fragile mini-implant would carry disastrous consequences. First, see another dentist or preferably a specialist such a periodontist, oral surgeon or prosthodontist. Second, see an orthodontist to have an intelligent discussion as to wheat you should have braces. Under no circumstances should you consider a mini-implant in the molar area or you could have severe complications, fractured implants or worse. 

Herbert Veisman, DDS
Toronto Periodontist

Dental Implant or braces? Braces First - without doubt

Tilted teeth are ideal for orthodontics and with teeth biting correctly and space established for a standard implant the case will have a great prognosis.  Cutting teeth and making do with inadequate space and mechanically inferior implant design is not a good plan.   

Uprighting Tilted Molar With Braces

The best solution would be to have orthodontics (braces) done to upright the molar back into an ideal position.  This will help with your bite and make room for you to have a dental implant.  The implant can then be placed and allowed to heal for 3-5 months.  Once the implant has fully integrated with the bone a crown can be placed over the implant.  

Choose carefully

The adjacent teeth should be uprighted so your bite and alignments are ideal. If the teeth are not correctly aligned there will always be a food trap which can lead to bone loss around the implant and decay at the gum line of the adjacent angled teeth.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Dentist

You can have both dental implants and braces!

Orthodontics first will upright the offending teeth then a dental implant can be placed providing you have adequate bone. Once the implant integrates it can be restored thus helping to keep the teeth in the proper position. Forget the mini implant idea and get it done right the first time!

Providing space will create better results in the long run

I would advise you to go with the ideal if possible. Aligning the teeth so there is adequate room will allow a larger implant to be placed. The larger the implant, the more force/load it can handle. The mini implant may work in the short term, but more research is needed to know how well they will withstand the forces required for chewing on the back teeth. Depending on how misaligned your teeth are, you may benefit from correcting all the teeth while enlarging the space.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Dentist

Combination braces and implants is best

Mini implants for crowns is "in beta phase", meaning they aren't designed for crowns, so invest in them at your own risk. If space is an issue, create space via braces and finish with a normal implant.

You should try to achieve optimal space through braces first

The best option is to provide as much space as possible prior to placing an implant. Specifically, you should achieve the space that the missing tooth would have spanned. The only way to do so is through braces FIRST. Mini implants are the last resort for the following reasons:

1. The crown (top) of the tooth will not be the size of the missing tooth.

2. The base between the tilted tooth and the mini implant tooth will be an impinged space which will make it very hard for you to keep clean, thus eventually developing localized gum/bone disease in the area. The "cutting " of the tooth will then be involved, possibly requiring a root canal.

In conclusion: Get braces to make the empty space as ideal as possible. Aferwards, hopefully have a regular size (for the corresponding missing tooth) implant placed, or potentiallly consider the possiblility of a fixed bridge.

I hope I clarified the situation.

Anca Bazile, DDS
New York Dentist