Implant Type for Pectus Excavatum?

Is there a better implant style (moderate plus or high profile silicone) to help correct a mild/moderate pectus excavatum? Does a bigger size help with the gap?

Pectus excavatum and implants

+2

The size and profile of an implant to correct pectus excavatum depends on your physical exam and the severity of the deformity.  There are procedures (the Nuss procedure) to correct pectus excavatum alone that do not involve placement of an implant.  There are also implants that may be custom fitted to the measurements of the deformity.  Different physicians practice different techniques to correct this disorder.  I would visit at least 2 board certified plastic surgeons prior to committing to a surgical procedure.  Good luck!

Implant Type for Pectus Excavatum?

+1

In my experience, many patients who present with pectus excavatum do not have much soft tissue/adipose tissue/breast tissue “coverage”  of their chest walls. For this reason, I think these patients benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants (which tend to have fewer problems associated with breast implant rippling and/or palpability).

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies with pectus excavatum who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work, helping patients with pectus excavatum with breast surgery specifically.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  him
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery after  careful measurements are made (dimensional planning).

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to pectus excavatum correction) helps.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_pectusexcavatum.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.