Best implant technique for uneven breasts post breast feeding? (photo)

How should I go around breast implant surgery with my breasts? I have been told so many things by different board certified surgeons...no unders but over muscle without lift. Under muscle with a lift of right breast only. I have also been told I should have a lift of both breasts with different sized implants. Is my case so unusual? Don't know how to proceed. Or whether I will get good results. I would appreciate some more guidelines from experienced doctors. Thank you!

Lift on sagging side and bilateral breast implants for breast asymmetry

+2

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common especially after breast-feeding.

A common approach is to lift the sagging breasts and if you would like your breasts to be more full place a breast implant in both breasts.

You can see an example of just such an approach in the last photographs in the link below on tuberous breasts which you do not have.

Breast asymmetry is normal

+2

Some breast asymmetry is normal, A lift and augmentation seems reasonable especially on the right breast. The left maybe ok with just an implants. But an exam in person is critical.

Best implant technique for uneven breasts post breast feeding?

+2

Thanks for your question and the attached photos. With asymmetry is size and shape it is not surprising to hear that you have received differing opinions.

• Size--if the breasts are different in size, your surgeon will likely recommend using different size implants. I can't really tell from the photos. If the breasts seem different in a bra, they are different in size. Trying on sizer implants in the office is helpful.
  • Shape--the right breast clearly sags enough that an implant alone will probably yield an unsatisfying result, with your own tissue draping off the implant. So I do thing a lift on the right is needed. The incision pattern will probably be a vertical lift (lollipop) but perhaps a full anchor pattern lift. If both breasts looked like the left, you might not be thinking about a lift (unless you felt the areola was too large). However, sometimes having the lift incision scars on both sides seem less noticeable when they are present on both sides. This is a tough call, without a right or wrong answer.

My advice would be to choose the surgeon about whom you feel best based on photos of outcomes, ability to explain the reasons for the recommendation.

All breasts are uneven

+2

Breasts are like snowflakes, they are all different, even on the same individual! Part of planning a breast enhancement procedure is that breast shape and what can be performed to help correct the asymmetry.

Also, if you want 10 different opinions on a topic, ask 10 board certified plastic surgeons and that's what you will get!!

Here are some of your options:

• Asymmetric mastopexy (breast lift)
  • Asymmetric augmentation with breast implants or fat grafts
  • Asymmetric augmentation/mastopexy
  • Asymmetric mastopexy followed by an augmentation in 2 procedures

The above does not take into account the type of implant (saline vs silicone vs form stable silicone), placement of implant (above or below the muscle), size of implant or the type of breast lift (concentric, lollipop, full anchor).

All of these decisions will depend on what YOU are willing to put yourself through regarding:

1. Recovery time
  2. Cost
  3. Scars
  4. Final breast shape
  5. Final breast size

Now, I hope you can see why you have so many opinions on what procedure would work for you. There are literally hundreds of different options available.

My recommendation would be to choose the surgeon that you feel most comfortable with and his/her staff and make sure that he/she can deliver the type of result that you are expecting. Look at a lot of before and after pictures of other women who look like you and consider what they chose and if you like the final result. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even hard questions to the plastic surgeon. Most surgeons welcome the opportunity to answer questions about their approach to a procedure and why they chose the method that they do.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1
You should seek out another consultation until you find a plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. I think that you may be able to avoid a lift on the left but definitely need a lift on the right. I would put the implants beow te muscle on both sides. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon