What Implant Size is Do You Recommend?

I am 48 years old and weigh 135lbs. I have had 3 children. My cup size is a 36B. What size implant would give me a DD result? I was thinking 550cc

Matching Cup Size and Breast Implant Size

+1
Recommended Implant Size is both an art and a science. 
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that would be best for you without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts)

Lastly going from a B to a DD or beyond cup size change is significant and it may or may not cause you to not be proportionate, receive more attention than you may like, and may limit your clothing options. Make sure you are prepared and well thought out on what you want to achieve.

My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

External sizers

+1

are very accurate and can also give you an idea if DD cups are too large for your frame or height.  At some point, implants can make you look fat (not phat) so be careful with your choices.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant Size?

+1

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do, whether or not they have 2 dimensional photos of you, but without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history,  discussing the pros and cons of the procedure and implant options may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cup size

+1

Trying to predict cup size post-operatively is at best unpredictable.

As a rough guide, 100cc equates to 1 cup size.

Don't worry about volume of the implant, but rather make sure your surgeon customises the implant to your body dimensions and your goals.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Implant size question

+1

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

550 cc breat implants sound too big.

+1

Hi.

1)  Very large breast implants stretch your tissues and age badly.  We never use implants larger than 500 cc's.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant Size

+1

In order for myself or another surgeon to give you a proper assessment, you need to post photos. I recommend a clear front and side view of the breasts. Additionally, any surgeon you see should offer you a sizing process. I offer my patients both VECTRA 3D imaging and implant sizers.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

What Implant Size Do You Recommend?

+1

It is impossible to give a good answer  without more information but a 550 cc implant may get you to a D or DD. Your PS should be able to give you this information as well as let you try on sizers.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

+1

Breast implant size really depends on the patient anatomy, skin quality, and measurements which can only be determined in the office.  We also use the VECTRA XT 3D system to help patients visualize their virtual results during their consultation.  The machine shows patients what they can look like in 3D using the actual measurements from the implant manufacturers.  This is a very useful tool during your breast implant consultation.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD