Implant Size for Natural but Fuller Breasts? (photo)

I am 5'8" and 125lbs with a relatively slim figure (BWD 11,5cm) I had a consultation but my doctor was not very helpful with the implant selection and said that it was a matter of taste and what I wanted- we tentatively decided for 300cc moderate plus. So here is my question: 300cc moderate plus has d=12cm, which is larger than my BWD, so I am thinking about switching to 275cc moderate plus. On the other hand, I cannot be sure what volume would take me to fuller breasts with a natural form.

Implant Size for Natural but Fuller Breasts?

+2

Most surgeons generally prefer to use the breast width as a limiting guideline for the width of an implant. The difference between 275 and 300 cc is very modest in volume, and in diameter (3mm, or less than 1/8 of an inch). If you or your surgeon are very particular about that small difference, you will choose the 275, though should also consider a high profile 300 as a possible alternative. 

Your desired result photo will be useful to your surgeon who has examined you, but not much help to me without a pre op photo of you.

At any rate, the implants you are choosing are so close in size and shape, I don't think you can go wrong. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Natural without Implants

+1

It is possible to change the shape and fullness of the breasts without implants.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to increase your upper pole fullness, displace your breasts medially to increase cleavage and change your shape.  The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift is the most natural procedure since no implant is required.  However, if you want an implant it can also be placed simultaneously.  The best implants are silicone gel placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural.  The profile of the implant is irrelevant when placed retro-pectoral since the muscle compresses the breast and determines the natural profile.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

How important is base diameter of implant and breast width in implant selection?

+1

We have been preached to that you are not supposed to exceed the width of your breast.  But in reality, if you have a large space between your breasts, you will need wider implants to diminish this.  In my experience, exceeding the width does not compromise your result unless your are going extremely large.   My own philosophy is pick the size you are comfortable with if you are willing to accept the risks of surgery.  Also, do not fret over 25-50 cc's as they make negligible differences in your ultimate outcome.  Good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

Fitting breast implants for natural and fuller

+1

I would also agree you need another opinion from a plastic surgeon that knows how to fit breast implants and what your choices are as well as what effect that would have. 

You are quite correct to be worried about an implant with a width that is wider than the external width of your breast. Proper implant sizing, in my experience, matches the diameter of the implant to the internal width of the breast (about 1 cm less than the measured external width). The diameter and height of the implant (in round implants) is then known to fit and look "natural". The patient can choose the forward profile of the implant, ranging from low to high in that diameter and the tissues will accommodate the forward volume that will make the breast look "fuller" by between one to two cup sizes from what it started from (assuming subpectoral placement). 

There are lots of opinions about size and proportion, but naturalness to me means the breast looks like a breast and not a breast and an implant, while the patient is comfortable with the size result because she chose it from within what is feasible and what she started from. There is no simple measure of breast size and naturalness. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

Best to seek more in person consultations from other boarded PSs in your city! I would go with 300 or even up to 350 cc UHP. silicones. 

Sizing of Implants for a Natural Look

+1

The natural look is always better!You have a great perspective. The difference between these two sizes is miniscule, only 3mm. The smaller size is always the more natural looking result if this is the size/ volume that fits your measurements. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

+1

The difference between 275 and 300cc implants is less than 1/4 of a bra cup and less than 2 tblsps. You already have a considerable amount of breast tisssue and if you are concerned about going too large, it is probable best to go with the smaller size. Either one will look good on you. In contrast to one of the other consultants, I would advise against high profiles as most patients complain they look more artificial and your goal is the opposite.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD