Implant Size for Flat Chest to Full B or Small C

I'm a narrow flat chested Asian, 5'6" 100Ibs, breast width 9.5cm . I would like to acheive a full B or small C after silicon implants. I do not like the "fake" look. What size should I choose, Moderate plus or high profile?

Toronto BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Breast implant size/type?

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Implant Size is an Individual Decision.

+1

Breast implant size for breast augmentation surgery is a very individual decision with many variables. These variables should be discussed with your board certified plastic surgeon and include implant type, implant shape, incision placement and implant size. These can all be addressed in your consultation. I would say that silicone would be a good choice considering you have limited breast tissue with an implant placed under the muscle for a natural look. You are narrow chested, so a high profile implant may be appropriate and incision type would be based on breast shape and areola size. Size ultimately depends on your size and your pre-existing breast and chest size. You can think of 150 to 200 cc's increasing you one cup size as a very rough estimate.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Implant size

+1

Forget about bra size.  Bra sizing is all over the place with no meaningful standardization.  Most women are in the wrong size bra. 

Try on implants in your doctors office with a nice snug t-shirt and see what flatters your figure.  I always tell patients to choose a size that looks just a little big in the exam room.  The implants will look a little smaller once they are in your chest instead of on your chest.  The profile (low, medium or high) will depend on the size you like and the diameter of your breast and your doctor can figure that out. 

But, really, forget about bra size.  It doesn't matter.  If you like your breasts but not your bra size, cut out the size tag!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Implant selection in breast augmentation

+1

Breast implants come in different sizes, shapes and profiles (amount of projection). Choosing the right combination depends on an in person physical examination and comprehensive discussion with your surgeon. It is likely you may need at least a 250cc or larger implant, and since the diameter of your breast is small you may benefit from a high profile type.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Re: breast implant size for flat chest

+1

If your base width is truly 9.5cm then in order to achieve a large B to small C you would, most likely, require a high profile prosthesis. If you are flat chested with a poorly defined inframammary fold I would suggest a periareolar approach (provided the areola is adequate size) with submuscular placement. This incision in Asian women tends to heal quite well. The implant size should be in the 300cc range.  

Of course, without photos, general recommendations are really all that can be provided at present.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

+1

A photo would haver helped decision on a accurate cc size of implant. For sure use a HP (High Profile). I recommend at least a 300 cc. Seek in person evaluations. 

Choose a good surgeon first- then worry about the implant

+1

Hi there-

I wish I had a few bucks for every time someone has asked a question like yours...

The thing is- you're going about it all wrong. It's a mistake to choose an implant first (on your own), and then find a surgeon willing to put it in you.

If your goal is to be safe and happy (and I assume it is), you should be spending your time and energy finding a well-trained, experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that you like and feel you can trust with your safety and happiness, communicating your goals to him, and with his assistance deciding on the details of the surgery most likely to make you happy.

Please read more about the best way to go about this here:

Armando Soto, MD

Implant choice

+1

Choosing the right impalnt size for an individual takes place in the office after a thorough discussion and exam.  Hard to say without doing so.

Get sized by your doctor

+1

At your pre operative visit, have your doctor size you. Place different sized implants into a bra to give you an idea. For you a b - c should give you a more natual look. Probably mod profile would work well.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD