Implant Size - Differing Opinions from 3 Surgeons

I am 5/4, 117 lbs, full a/ small b - deflated from pregnancy/ bottom heavy/ no tissue at top. I went to 3 very good surgeons and 2 stated 300 ccs silicone, moderate profile, memory gel to bring me to a large b. I do not want to look like a C cup, just a large natural B. The surgeon I thought was best thinks that I should go with a 350-375 cc silicone moderate profile, memory gel implant to get this size. This sounds like a big difference. He said that 300ccs would be too small. Help!

Implant sizing - picking the right implant size for you

+2

Try implant sizers preoperatively to see what look you like the best.  I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Large B

+2

The 350-375  will probably bump you up to a large "C".  However, without an exam I would not necessarily recommend either implants to you. 

+1
A physical exam is really required to make any recommendations. To help my patients achieve their goals, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps

Mel T. Ortega, MD

+1

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as   “natural”  or “B cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help. 

Choices??

+1

When it comes to breast augmentation, you will have several choices on implant size and shape. What I find helpful for patients in their  decision making process is to show before and after pictures of patient with breast shape close them. It will defiantly help you if you do that.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD