Implant Size and Breast Width Diameter? (photo)

I am looking for a subtle enhancement to add fullness and volume. My breast width diameter is 12.5 cm on my left and 12.7 cm on my right. My surgeon recommends the Allergan Inspira 260cc LOW profile implant because the diameter is 12.5cm which is exactly the same width as my breast. I feel more comfortable with the 230cc but the width is 12cm. Should I go with the implant that is the exact same width as my breast diameter or go with something slightly smaller? I don't want to look too big.

Implant size

+2

you are over analyzing for this procedure- 30cc's is not a lot of difference in size and most patients after surgery wish they had gone bigger- you will be the one wearing the implant so go with your gut feeling

Brea Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

Thanks for your question - that being said, this is a difficult question to answer on line.  A physical exam is really needed including an evaluation of the amount of native breast tissue, the skin elasticity, and the width of the chest.  Best of luck!

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

+2
Breast implant sizing is difficult and always takes the most time. You should always go with the size that you feel most comfortable with as long as the implant fits you. In general going smaller is not a problem and practically speaking there is not a significant difference between these two implants. We use 3D imaging to help with these decisions and find it exceptionally useful.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Implant sizing is both science and art and should be customized for each patient.

+2

It sounds like you and your surgeon have a good plan. Using dimensional planning is an important approach to narrow down your options to implant sizes that not only will look more natural but will lower your risk of complications. There is no perfect implant size for each patient but rather a general goal and desire. There will be very little visible difference between implants that are within 30 cc of each other. Something that I fine helpful for my patients is to remind them that 1 tablespoon = 15 cc. A less wide implant will slightly reduce the width of your final breast and thereby reduce the implant edge feel and visibility. Both devices will project forward about the same amount.  Have these discussions with your surgeon, decide together and agree on the plan. Good Luck.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

Either implant will work for you. You would probably not notice much of a difference. So many patients comment that they could (or should) have gone bigger. So psychologically it may be better to go with the additional 30 ccs

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size choices in Los Angeles

+2

Dimensional planning for breast implants is both mathematical and aesthetic.  Not every dimension and volume size is available, so you will have to defer to your and the your surgeon's aesthetic judgement based on your breast features. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Implant Size and Breast Width Diameter?

+1

30 cc will not provide a visual difference. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sizing for conservative subtle BAM

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Too Big?

+1

Joshie. The difference between 260 and 230 is minimal and both are very small implants which will add some volume but in no means would be considered large on most patients. A 260 will look a lot like how a 230 looks with a sizing set in the office so keep that in mind. Either base width should be fine, I would focus more on the volume size, and remember that sometimes listening to your PS is the best advice. Good luck, Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Don't worry about the diameter

+1
Do not be too concerned about a few millimetres in a breast implant diameter. They won't make a big difference.
Choose an implant you are more comfortable with. A low profile implant is really just a 'flat pancake' and will simply push your existing breast forward, it will not make them rounder.

Martin Jugenburg, MD