When Will Right Implant Settle After Breast Augmentation and Lift?

I am 3 1/2 months post op from a breast lift and augmentation. My left breast is fabulous but my right one is still very high. I've been massaging but don't see any difference. When should I start getting concerned?

You will probably need a revision

+3

What you are describing is not uncommon when breast lifts and implants are combined, especially if your implants are gel. Keep massaging on the off chance that it will settle over the next couple of months. I would roughly estimate the chance of your not needing a revision at about 10%. It is far easier to drop an implant down than to raise one that is too low.

You will likely need a revision

+2

It's difficult to know for sure without examining you, but it sounds like you'll need a revision to help drop that implant down into a better position.  Fortunately, this is usually a straight-forward procedure and should solve the issue.

Good luck!

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

+2

You seem to be in contact with your plastic surgeon and are massaging diligently.

Six months is usually the time when we consider revisions for your problem. This problem, by the way, occurs even in the very best of hands.

Hopefully massage and time will remedy your problem. If not, the surgical solution is usually very straightforward.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Thanks for the question -

It is difficult to say with 100% certainty but the fact that one implant has settled well and the other has not does raise some concerns.

In addition, the majority of the swelling and settling should be resolved by 4 months.

I would have a conversation with your plastic surgeon.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Breast too high after 3.5 months

+1

You should be seeing a progressive change of your breast.  If this has stopped and the breast is very different from the other side you may need a revision.  Its certainly possible that the muscle on that side was not completely released at the bottom and the left side was.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

High riding breast implant

+1

A high breast implant may take up to 6-9 months to settle. However, this can vary by technique and according to the individuals tissues. In your case, I would be less concerned if both implants were high. In my opinion, it is likley that you will need a revision but I  would wait between 6-9 months.

Breast Implant positions

+1

If your implant has not come down by now, you most likely will need a revision. However, you may be able to massage it down. I would give it a few more months.

Breast augmentation revision is likely needed

+1

You can continue the massage but most probably, you will need a small revision. A small release of the capsule on that side will let the implant drop in place. If there is a tight capsule as well. It could be released at the same time.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Unfortunately, you should be concerned now.

+1

Hi. There is a misconception out there that implants are going to "drop" after surgery. Some plastic surgeons repeat this. In fact, your breasts should look great and the implants should be in the right position immediately after surgery.

I make sure of this by putting the patient in the sitting position DURING surgery (you are still asleep, of course). That way, I can check shape, size, and symmetry before finishing the operation. If things don't look great, I keep working until they do. There is no guess work.

Massage will not do anything and it will frustrate you. The bad news is you will need to have your right breast revised in another 3 months. The good news is there is no reason why you should not have a great final result.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)