Implant Replacement Recommended After Mammogram. Can't Afford it; Am I Safe?

I've had implants for more than 25years. I was told by a radiologist during mammogram that they should be replaced after 10years. Now on a fixed income and cannot afford replacements. Am I safe? Is there anywhere I can go to have them replaced - like some kind of clinical trial?

Do NOT need to replace implants every 10 years

+1

You do NOT need to replace your implants every 10 years. In fact, you can keep your implants forever if they do not leak or cause you any problems. If you're having any issues, then you should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon. 

I hope that helps and wish you the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Implant Replacement

+1

There seems to be this information floating around on the internet that breast implants need to be replaced every 10 years. I get asked nearly every week. There is no basis in replacing breast implants unless there is some kind of a problem.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Implant replacement after 10 years?

+1

Implants are not like tires where they have to be rotated or replaced after a certain amount of use. Yes, if there is a problem then they should be changed or removed, if not, I would leave them alone.

Implant replacement

+1
DId the radiologist tell you specifically why they should be replaced? If you do not have capsular contractors and there are no other problems associated with the implants, then they can remain in place indefinitely. I know of no clinical trials for their removal. Removal is an inexpensive procedure and you may want to consider an academic program which offers reduced rate surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD