Implant Replacement - Will I Lose Breast Tissues?

Hello doctors, I am planning on a revision and put in a new implant instead of using the existing one. I had gone through implant removal before without replacement(I was very very thin and flat chested), the removal resulted in some more loss of breast tissues which I did not anticipate. This time, with the revision, the surgeon will take out the existing implant, retailor the pocket and put a new implant in. Would I lose breast tissues when an implant is put back in in the same surgery? Many thanks for your opinion in advance.

Breast Implant Removal and Tissue loss?

+1

Generally, you will not lose any breast tissue with the  procedure you are planning. There are many variables involved with your breast appearance/feel  besides that of the different implants being used. Unless there is “capsule work” done at the same time no breast  tissue will be removed.

No breast tissue loss from implant replacement

+1
Swapping implants would not result in loss of breast tissue. If the reason for the exchange is capsular contracture, you could lose some volume but this can be compensated for with a slightly larger implant.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Revision surgery and breast implant exchange

+1

If you are having a breast lift then I would say that you may lose a few grams because of skin removal. But, if you are just having an implant exchange I would not think you will have any significant change in native breast tissue volume.

Changes in breast size with revisional surgery

+1

Revisional surgery can certainly change the size and shape of your breasts. If you're having significant capsular issues, your surgeon will likely incise the capsule if not actually remove some of it. When any soft tissue of your breast is manipulated during revisional surgery, your postoperative size can be changed. In my experience, if revisional surgery is performed, and the same size implant is used, patients often feel as if their breast size has decreased following surgery. This is likely because of the more relaxed shape of the breast following manipulation of the soft tissue.

Any scar tissue around the implant will cause an increase in projection although a potential deformity in shape. When the shape is restored, and the capsule is released, the projection is often slightly less and this perceived by the patient has a smaller breast. My recommendation, if you're having revisional surgery, is to consider placement of a slightly larger implant to maintain your perception of a similar breast size postoperatively.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

If you are not having capsule work, you should not lose tissue

+1

If your doctor is not removing scar capsule tissue to allow for the new implant placement, then you should not lose tissue. Some people need this more than others and the tissue loss is often due to this event in these cases. 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

You don't lose breast tissue exchanging implants

+1

The story you describe is complex having been through multiple surgeries. The removal of an implant without replacement will leave you smaller than before the implants were put in, but this is not because you lost tissue in the implant removal operation. It is because of the stetching of the tissue by the implant and the normal aging process. You also won't lose tissue putting a new implant back in.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS