Implant Removal Technique and What Doctor?

I have done the silicon implant surgery in my nose 19 years ago. I am wondering which symptom suggested to removal the implant or to see the doctor ? Also, if I have the implant checked with the doctor, what kind of check should be done? Usually how long can the implant exist in the body? Thank you very much for your help!

I have done the silicon implant surgery in my nose 19 years ago. I am wondering which symptom suggested to removal the implant

+1

The issues, with the L-shaped silicone nasal implant are:

1. The short, vertical portion, of the implant, is palced between the two portions of the nasal tip cartilages thereby making the nasal tip wider, not thinner.  This can cause weakening and even erosion of the natural tip cartilages.
  2. Even more serious is the pressure on the nasal skin created by the junction of the short vertical and longer horizontal, dorsal segment of the implant which can be tender, red in color and eventually erdode through the skin.

When I encounter patients with the L-shaped nasal implant, I remove the vertical segment, trim and reduce the junction thereby relieving the pressure on the skin, repair the damaged tip cartilages and add tip support with a conchal cartilage tip graft.  The dorsal segment of the implant can be left intact if the patient is happy with the dorsal height.

Implant Removal After Rhinoplasty? #nosejob

+1

I am a little confused by your presentation but it sounds like you are asking how you should have your silicone implant removed and if you should. If you are not having any complications at all and you are happy with the way things look then I would do nothing. If you are having the implant removed for complications it also depends on if you are having additional work. I typically remove them via an open Rhinoplasty technique with an incision across the under part of the nose called the Columella. Just make sure you seek a board certified surgeon who has expertise in secondary and revision Rhinoplasty because these cases are hard at best!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Remove the Implant only if there are problems

+1

If you are happy with your aesthetic result and have no problems, then keep it there.

Problems include but are not limited to:

Infection -- characterized by drainage, redness, pain and tenderness

Shifting of the Implant

Extrusion or Impending Extrusion -- in other words it is poking through the skin or the inside of the nose and is not covered by your own tissue

I hope that helps and have a great day.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no reason to remove a silicone implant after rhinoplasty in less there is something specifically wrong..

+1

Silicone implant can remain in position indefinitely. The only indications for removal would be if there were some functional problem resulting from it or if you are dissatisfied enough with the aesthetic result that you would be willing to undergo another operation. Otherwise leave it alone.

Implant removal

+1

If it aint broke don't fix it!  If your implant has not given you problems than I would leave it alone. If it is infected then that is a different story.

Removal of Nasal Implant

+1

Dear sfdreaming88,

A nasal implant does not need to be removed unless it is causing a problem (eg. infection, exposure, deformity). Many patients are very happy with their nasal implants and live with them for decades and decades.

If you are concerned about the appearance of your nose or the state of your implant, please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

San Francisco, CA USA

Larry Fan, MD

Removal of a silicone nasal implant

+1

Implants can stay if they are free of problems, such as infection or exposure. If you have no problems with yours, it is best left alone. Reconstruction of the bridge after the implant is out, take quite a bit of skill.

Silicone Nasal Implant Removal

+1

Hi,

Removal of a silicone implant is relatively easy. The difficult part is reconstructing the bridge after the implant is out.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nasal implant can be evaluated by a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Dear sfdreaming88

• It may be that your 19 year old silicone nasal implant is doing just fine.
  • you could schedule a consult with a Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon to have it evaluated. 
  • If you are unhappy with the appearance, and your check up goes well, then you will feel reassured. 
  • Best Wishes.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Nasal Implant Removal

+1

If it's not broken, don't fix it. If you are not having any symptoms, and you are happy with the appearance of you nose, there is no reson to remove the nasal implant. If you are unhappy with the appearance, or are having symptoms like pain, redness, changes in countour, changes in skin color, increased nasal drainage or foul odors, then see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (Otolaryngologist) with experience with nasal implants and nasal reconstruction/revision surgery in your area for a consultation. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon