Implant Removal, How Long Should I Wait After Initial Augmentation?

I got implants 350 silicone from a 34A/B. I'm an athlete and made a mistake. I would like to get them out asap but as safely as possible. I had my surgery on June 14, 2011. Can some one advise me on how long I should wait to remove them safely and the best time to remove them so that they go back to pre-op shape? My doctor said that I have to wait until the blood vessels go back to normal. Are there "explant" experts? My doc. has never taken them out and I would like my muscles to go back to normal

Timing for Implant Removal

+1

Provide yourself sufficient time to clearly decide that implant removal is in your interests. Then, as soon as you are certain, then you should have the surgery in order to have the best chance to return to preoperative shape. The ASPS and ASAPS websites would be starting points to identify qualified, board certified plastic surgeons.

Breast Implant Removal - Implant Removal, How Long Should I Wait After Initial Augmentation?

+1

The sooner the better...IF you're sure.

If you are absolutely sure - completely, absolutely sure! - then the sooner you have them out the better.  It is perfectly reasonable to wait a few weeks if you happen to have a lot of swelling and/or bruising, but it is not unheard of to do a secondary procedure emergently (if there is, for example, excess bleeding or other problems).  And the longer you wait, the more stretched out your tissues (skin, breast tissue, and muscle if submuscular) will be, and the harder it will be for them to simply contract on their own.

I would urge you to think about this carefully since you cannot reasonably just get back to where you are now.  If you are happy with your result it may make sense to stick with it.  However, for an athlete, these implants may be too big for you.  If that's the case, you can consider going a little smaller and that, too, should be done before too long if possible.  There will most likely be at least some additional costs with either or both of these procedures.  But if you are positive that you want them out, then you might as well go ahead.

And the sooner the better...IF you're sure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Breast Augmentation

+1

First of all, give yourself at least one month to make this decision, longer if you are still unsure.  If committed, take them out anytime after the 4 weeks so the incisions get a chance to settle down from the 1st procedure.  I hope this info helps.

Removing Implants Sooner rather than later

+1

I agree with most of the surgeon's who have responded that if you are certain that you want the implants removed, I would do it ASAP. The sooner you do it, the better for "bouncing back". Make sure you have confidence in the surgeon you choose -- make sure they are a board certified plastic surgeon.

I am including a link of a patient who had her implants removed and went back to a very nice state after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/case-of-the-week/breast-revision-surgery/breast-implant-removal/

Implant removal

+1

I think if you want the implants removed it would be a simple thing to doas an outpatient.I don't think you would need a drain and I would have you get a compression garment to keep the pockets collapsed and you should do fine.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

No time decree.

+1

I'm not sure what "letting the blood vessels go back to normal" means at all. If anything, have them removed sooner rather than later. The procedure is quick, although it may require drains. To find a reputable plastic surgeon, click on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons link below.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgery.org

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants early may heal without the need for a lift

+1

I don't think it's too soon to remove the implants.  In fact, the longer you wait the greater the chance that you'll need a lift.  However, you may need drains in for several weeks to "close down" the space that was created for your implants.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Early Implant Removal Timing

+1

Your implants can be removed at any time.  Your breasts, skin, and muscles will be fine.  Any plastic surgeon who does breast augmentation can remove them.  It is unusual for a patient to have her implants removed, but discuss your concerns with your surgeon and let him remove them if you are sure.

Breast implant removal...not yet

+1

Reoperating on breast tissue between three and four weeks can be problematic. The reason is that the scar tissue is just about to hit the peak of its inflammatory phase. That means that the tissues will be thick, inflamed and will not handle the same way that they did during your initial operation. However, if you must have them out...take them out. If you were my patient, I would try to make you wait as long as possible...and at least three months.

Web reference: http://drkevinbrenner.com/blog/what-are-the-risks-of-breast-implants/421486

Sooner

+1

Luckily for most patients, removing their implants will allow them to return to their normal preoperative appearance. From a surgical standpoint, the sooner you get this done, the easier it will be. Best Regards to you.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon