Is Implant Removal/explant More More Complicated After Dual Plane BA?

I have 275cc dual plane BA about a month ago. I hate them I am having them removed in another 2 months. I have been told I have to wait this long before I have another general anesthetic. I am very athletic and want to recover as quickly as possible. will recovery be easier/quicker than the orginal BA? how soon before I can work out again. Please help, biggest mistake of my life.

Breast Augmentation Implant Removal/explant

+3

I think that you can remove under local anesthesia and light sedation.
It is a procedure which will take 30 minutes bilaterally. So do not think you need a general anesthetic.
If you have fat, you might consider fat transfer procedure as an alternative.
But before you must remove your implants and more ask yourself what you really would like for your breasts. As it seems you are very unhappy about results, so it might concern your expectations or your self image estimation or an unnatural result from surgery.
What is wrong?
Find out what you think is wrong with an implant. Psychological refusal? Unnatural result? Feel not confident with yourself more than before?
These issues must be solved before any other action. To my personal opinion

London Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+3

Straightforward implant removal is usually quite easy to perform and to recover from, and not nearly as bad as the original surgery. You will have activity restrictions after surgery to decrease risks for bleeding and swelling which goes along with any surgical procedure. Implant removal can be more involved if there is scar tissue that needs to be removed (capsulectomy), or if you were to decide to tighten up the skin in the form of a breast lift. Your doctor will provide you with his or her recommendations and activity restrictions. I allow patients to resume exercise as soon as 3-4 weeks, with limitations on heavy upper body activity slightly longer. Certainly, every case is different and some patients heal faster than others so it depends on many factors. Most importantly, I would follow your physician's instructions and time frames for resumption of fitness activities to avoid complications.

Hayley Brown, MD

Recovery after Removal of Breast Implants?

+2

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment after breast augmentation surgery. I am confident you will find that removal of breast implants is associated with much less discomfort and recovery time (regardless of the initial  positioning of the breast implants). Of course, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you about returning to your active/athletic lifestyle.

Breast explantation

+2

Removing implants are relatively easy to perform as long as there is not a capsular contracture.  Good luck.

Breast Implant Removal

+2

Dear Danitygirl:

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your breast implants. Breast implant removal is usually a simpler operation tha placing them. If you are convinced you are not going to warm up to them, there is no reason to wait two more months to have your implants removed. Moreover, the procedure may be possible under local with sedation rather than general anesthesia. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal

+2

If you placed breast implants to feel better about yourself then it is also a reasonable option to remove the implants feel better about yourself. Most surgeons, including myself, feel that it takes a woman a few months to adjust to the feeling and body image of suddenly having breasts. Therefore, I often request a woman to wait for that long before removing implants. General anesthesia is not a consideraton and can be given again even in a short period of time. I mostly remove implants under a local anesthesia with oral sedation. As far as the placement of implants, I perform almost exclusively subfascial placement, especially in athletic women, since it gives a much more natural dynamic appearance. There is no movement of the implants with motion of the muscles. If this is your problem, then you should simply have the implants placed in a different plane rather than simply removing them. However, keep in mind that YOU are the only one who can make the final decision as to wheter or not you really want to have the implants at all.

William LoVerme, MD

Implant removal has limited recovery, but change to subfascial placement is a much better option for you!!!

+2

This procedure should not require general anesthesia.  I commonly perform breast augmentation and revision under local anesthetic alone, with oral sedation, with IV sedation or general anesthesia depending on patient preferences.  Simply removal should not require more then local and some sedation. 

However you may want to rethink your surgical options.  dual-plane augmentation in general is a very poor choice for athletic women.  I actuall never use this procedure in my practice as I view it to be intrinsically flawed- see other questions on subfascial vs dual-plane.  I commonly convert women from dual-plane to Cold-Subfascial with great results that do not animate like ddual plane and are very well tolerated in athletic women and may still be mistaken as natural.  Do not overlook the possibility of changing planes to subfascial with either a LOW PROFILE implant or a low projection anatomic.  Simply removing the implant is VERY likely to leave you disappointed with aestheticvs!  These would be great choices in the right hands.  I hope this helps! 

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Is Implant Removal/explant More More Complicated After Dual Plane BA

+2

No, it is a simple procedure regardless of implant position. Some surgeons ask patients to wait some months because we want to prevent impulsive decisions. But there is no reason why a three month delay is any safer for a repeat general anesthesia. Furthermore, the implants can be removed with local anesthesia and a little sedation.

Discuss with your surgeon, provided you are certain about your decision. If you have even the slightest doubt, wait a bit. 

All the best. 

Implant removal

+1

I assume the reason your surgeon wants to wait is that he is hoping you will change your mind and keep your implants. I understand this because it takes three months minimum for you to get over the procedure and get your final result. It is hard for a surgeon to understand someone willing to undergo surgery for implants and not be willing to wait 3 months before taking them out.

You do not have to wait 2 months, and they could be removed in the office under local anesthesia.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon