Implant Removal After 9 Wks?

9 wks ago I had 420cc Saline Under Muscles placed with areola incision at 7 wks post op developed suture abscess then at 9 wks post op developed mastitis I was hospitalized all weekend on IV abxs then Mon had to have my implants removed bc the infection was so severe I am bandaged tightly still and scared to see my natural breasts after the implants I was a B Cup B4 Sx and Ive peeked and they look so flat?Also my Dr advised to try again in 9 mos said its not likely to reoccur Im scared to do it

Reimplantation after Implant Explantation for Infection

+1

If implants are explanted due to infection and the infection is treated appropriately, implants can be replaced in 3 months.

Implant removal

+1

If you had an infection, then it sounds like you had the right procedure to have the implants removed.  Yes, you do have to wait several months until things heal before undergoing reimplantation.

Implant removal

+1
  • Infection requiring implant removal is always possible, but very uncommon
  • Most patients do get their implants replaced and do not have additional problems with infection
  • It is important to wait a few months to give your body a chance to heal more thoroughly before proceeding to another surgery

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Breast Re Augmentation after Infection?

+1

Sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Your plastic surgeon will be the best resource when it comes to estimating the amount of time you should wait prior to re-augmentation.
 Most patients who experience this complication are understandably eager to return to the   operating room for breast augmentation.  Again, generally speaking, it is in patients best interests to be as patient as possible…
Timing for re-augmentation of the breasts comes down to a judgment call made by the plastic surgeon who knows your situation best. Some of the factors that may be taken into consideration include the severity of infection, the types/aggressiveness of the infectious organism involved, the pliability/softness of the overlying skin/breast tissue etc.
Generally speaking,  the majority of patients who  undergo repeat breast augmentation surgery after removal of breast implants,  do so successfully.

Implant Removal

+1

I always regret hearing of this complication, and it sounds like it was managed properly. 

Once the incision is completely healed, the minimum delay before doing a second enlargement is 3 months, and it may be that longer is better. 

I have not seen a second infection in this setting, nor have I seen any colleague's patient with such a problem. I am not sure that anyone has a series that shows a similar or an increased rate of infection in second augmentations. This is an uncommon complication and it would take a series of hundreds to know the data. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.